Machines I want but will probably never own

I dearly love fishing the Great Lakes. My L. Michagan fishing boat has been up on its trailer for the past twenty years. I need a new transome but more inportantly, it needs a new outboard. Do I spend $10K for a new outboard on a boat that I will only use a few times a year? Considering that I have maybe a dozen years left at best in which I could use it? These are questions that I wouldn't have even considered twenty years ago.

I dearly love fishing the Great Lakes. My L. Michagan fishing boat has been up on its trailer for the past twenty years. I need a new transome but more inportantly, it needs a new outboard. Do I spend $10K for a new outboard on a boat that I will only use a few times a year? Considering that I have maybe a dozen years left at best in which I could use it? These are questions that I wouldn't have even considered twenty years ago.

Same here, but it's not so much about justifying the expense. I find myself thinking about my wife or children dealing with my stuff after I've checked out. Items weighing 100 lbs. are not really an issue, it's the ones that weigh 1000 lbs. or more that can't move themselves.

Last edited:
It was nice when I had a business and I could justify buying a new tool in that the revenue from a pending job would pay for the tool (mind you, I didn't say profit). Alas, no business any more so I can't use that excuse. However, some major remodeling jobs have justified the purchase of a variety of wood working tools. :) Those major projects are winding down though.:apologize:

Those are certainly considerations that creep in when we head into the last stretch. We each spend time and money the way we see fit but I have spent a few years in that 'too old to get excited' mode and its no fun at all. Seems to me that we need something to keep our juices flowing or we get sick and die a slow boring death too soon.

As part of my estate planning I have identified people (friends and relatives) and resources for my executors to call for my specialty things that might be difficult for them to handle.

You never know who is going to go first. While my bride of 52 years and I have more money left over than time, the money is used to help us enjoy the moment to its fullest.

@RJSakowski I'd like to suggest the same advice that I gave my 83 year old friend when he was agonizing over the purchase of an expensive French military style watch... I suggested to him that if it was affordable, and it brings him regular joy (apologies to Marie Condo) that he should do the thing that makes his day better. If a watch would do that it isn't a decision, it is an action.

Either a Brough Superior SS100 or an Agostini MV agusta, however realistically I probably have little time left to fully appreciate either the bikes or the tools, but we can dream.
Bridgeport and Surface grinder.

Next for me is a surface grinder. Then a decent Tig welder. There’s a ton of other things... but since space is so limited... I just don’t go there. No point in driving myself crazy. Hell, the glass is half full.

I would like a surface grinder, bandsaw & air compressor, but it looks like I will never have the room.

Back