Machines I want but will probably never own

Well if you really want them just keep looking you may eventually find them. When I started with a 9x20 lathe I never imagined the kind of machines I have now. Heck I didn’t even know they existed. But you can have them if you try. I just don’t get new cars but instead new machines.

I still want a 10ee in great condition or some other small tool room lathe. They always Go for very high prices so I think some people want them more than me.

And while I have an old crusty surface grinder I want a bit newer of one that’s a bit larger.

A customer offered to sell me a BLOHM 12 x 24 surface grinder.
It is a hydraulic machine, so I believe it can be run both manually and automatically.
I didn't ask how much as I have three machines there now and he has been gently pushing for their removal.

There are some machines that, to a certain individual, hold a magnetic attraction. Just the appearance and design pull you to toward them. In motorcycles for me it is the Vincent Rapide A, the “ plumbers nightmare”. A very visceral machine.

In metal working, remember, I’m relatively new to machining although I have several years of mechanical experience, and have little hands on experience. I do a lot of reading and watch a lot of videos. I’ve noticed that there are some machines that I have a fascination with. As follows
Lathe - Monarch 10 ee
Mill - Tree 2uvr
Shaper - Atlas 7B
Saw - Keller powered hacksaw
Can I afford them? No
Do I have room? No
Do I have the ability to use them? No
Am I likely to ever acquire them? No
FDo I want them? YES!
Do you have machines that appeal to you the same way or am I just weird ?
Thanks
No, you are not weird. I have a similar list.The Monarch 10EE is on it, Though I would settle for tool room Hardinge lathe. The Vincent motorcycle is on my, and most peoples lists. I do have a Bridgeport M head 1948 vintage. l also own a Motorcycle in restoration. A 1948 Sunbeam S-7 You should find a space for one item on your list, and grow from there. We only go this way once. Go for it! Don't worry about the ability to use them, that will come in time.

A customer offered to sell me a BLOHM 12 x 24 surface grinder.
It is a hydraulic machine, so I believe it can be run both manually and automatically.
I didn't ask how much as I have three machines there now and he has been gently pushing for their removal.

That seems like a good machine. You should get it.

I’ve been searching for a 12x24 okamoto but I dont really have space at the moment

I think, why limit yourself. So, Monica AND Rachel. 10EE in the corner of the room. Norton 6x18 surface grinder to keep things “grounded”. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the laugh lads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mary-Ann, definitely Mary-Ann! As for the machines #1 a Moore #3 Jig Grinder, I have no use for it but I loved running it when I was an apprentice. Another machine from my apprenticeship, and #2 on my list would be a Tree mill, very solid, very accurate, rugged, and a breeze to tram in.
Did I mention Mary-Ann?
Richard

Back