[How do I?] Mach 3 Work Offset

You could also run a subprogram to get the result you're looking for.

G54
M98 P1234

G55
M98 P1234

ect...

M30

O1234
(part program goes here)

If you're lazy like me, you can also put the work offsets right into your Gcode using the G10 command. That way you don't have to go change your work offset table every time you go to run the program. Very handy if it's something you are going to run often. For example:
G10L2P1X0.Y0.Z0. (G54)
G10L2P2X-5.75Y0.Z0. (G55)
ect...

G54
M98 P1234

G55
M98 P1234

ect...

M30

O1234
(part program goes here)

If you're lazy like me, you can also put the work offsets right into your Gcode using the G10 command. That way you don't have to go change your work offset table every time you go to run the program. Very handy if it's something you are going to run often. For example:
G10L2P1X0.Y0.Z0. (G54)
ect...

I'm no where near your CNC programming level but I will give it a try. Thanks for your input.

Tom S.

no problem. Just follow the format I just gave you, add as many work offsets as you need followed by the M98P1243 line and you should be good to go. Just remember in the actual part program to remove any work offsets your post may put in there.

Also your P value can be any 4 digit number so long as the O value below matches. P6932 and O6932 would work just as well.

D2NC works similar to what you describe with a few differences. In my case the 0,0 point is set in your CAD drawing. For the parts I described earlier in this thread I drew a box around the nested parts and defined my X and Y 0,0 as the lower left corner. In my CAM software I select the 0,0 reference as bottom left then select Offset. For a Profile cut I select Inside or Outside and enter the cutter diameter in the Tool Diameter box then select the objects in the drawing I want to machine. The Offset function sets the edge of the cutter to the part edge. That is the cutter offset, e.g. a .375" end mill cutter offset is .1875". There are a few more steps involved to get to the point of generating gcode but this is how you get through the cutter offset steps. Hope this is as clear as mud.

Tom S.

Sounds like the same procedure as in Cambam. You just explained it better than I did.:) It's pretty hard to put all of that into words that actually make sense.:grin:

G54
M98 P1234

G55
M98 P1234

ect...

M30

O1234
(part program goes here)

G10L2P1X0.Y0.Z0. (G54)
ect...

I tried the G10 gcode you suggested above. Obviously I did something wrong because when I clicked on cycle start the table moved left and kept on going. I hit STOP before it got to the limit switch. This is frustrating but my own doing because I bought a very basic CAM program. I'm at the point where I need to make parts so I'm going to manually set part 2 and 3 X offset. Then go out and buy a another CAM program.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Tom S.

Back