[How do I?] Mach 3 Work Offset

Jim,
I had the same problem with SprutCAM. It didn't want to machine disconnected parts. I am sure that it was my misunderstanding but I gave up on it. One way to get around this is to put the individual parts on a base so they are connected and thereby a single part. I set up the machining to not cut the base level. I machined an array of thirty parts that way.

I guess if I was trying to machine multiple parts using offsets, I would copy the first part G code for as many parts as I was going to machine and find and replace all instances of G54 with G55, G56, etc. for the additional parts. This should do the trick. The G code editor should make this easy and fairly foolproof. Just be careful that it doesn't change all the previous offsets. Depending on the editor, you may have to go one by one. (Wordpad replaces forward and backward but some other editors only replace going forward)

One way to get around this is to put the individual parts on a base so they are connected and thereby a single part

That is exactly the way I setup all multiple part setups, to the CAM program it looks like all one big part with repeating features. I am using AutoCAD/CamBam. But it seems that D2NC is having a bit of a problem doing multiples.

Maybe time for a new CAM program? Seems like you have had other issues with D2NC.

Jay

Cutter offset? Is that like cutter comp? Maybe that's why cause it's thinking your using a huge cutter.

Would you export a DXF file of your drawing and upload it here. I want to try something with AutoCAD. Change the DXF extension to TXT and you can upload it.

Here you go.

Tom S.

Attachments

• Brace A Nest.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 4
Jim,
I had the same problem with SprutCAM. It didn't want to machine disconnected parts. I am sure that it was my misunderstanding but I gave up on it. One way to get around this is to put the individual parts on a base so they are connected and thereby a single part. I set up the machining to not cut the base level. I machined an array of thirty parts that way.

I guess if I was trying to machine multiple parts using offsets, I would copy the first part G code for as many parts as I was going to machine and find and replace all instances of G54 with G55, G56, etc. for the additional parts. This should do the trick. The G code editor should make this easy and fairly foolproof. Just be careful that it doesn't change all the previous offsets. Depending on the editor, you may have to go one by one. (Wordpad replaces forward and backward but some other editors only replace going forward)

I tried that, at least I think I did, but it didn't work. In my editor I copied the G54 gcode and pasted it twice for a total of three part runs. At the beginning of the second part run I entered G55 and at the beginning of the third part run I entered G56. I ran a simulation and it cut the first part three times. I obviously did something wrong. BTW G54 is in the Safety Bar.

I did more reading last night and found a discussion on the Mach Support forum about offsets. Their recommendation was to use G52. Tried that and it didn't work either.

Can you give me an example of what the gcode should look like?

Thanks for your help.

Tom S.

Maybe time for a new CAM program? Seems like you have had other issues with D2NC.

Jay

I was thinking the same thing. D2NC does a good job with very basic parts. When going to the next level, e.g. multiples of the same part, it's lacking in functionality.

Tom S.

Cutter offset? Is that like cutter comp? Maybe that's why cause it's thinking your using a huge cutter.

For info the parts are 1/2" away from each other at their nearest point. I'm using a 3/8" end mill so it should have space to clear the adjacent part.

Tom S.

See if this DXF is any different. I didn't create a TAP or NC file because I don't what the cutting parameters are.

Attachments

• Brace A Nest2.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 3
Here is another DXF with 8 parts in the same footprint. There is > 0.5 between them.

Attachments

• Brace A Nest3.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Back