Mach 3 processor platform...

I'm no electronics guru by any means. The new computer hardware is designed for mutitasking. These Mach 3 setups are designed for 1 thing, doing CNC. The parrallel port works because it's super simple. Each wire in the connector sends out the pulse for its particular stepper. There's no special decoding necessary., and there's no feedback coming thru on the same wire. The simplicity of it, is what makes it reliable. All the background operations in XP basically get shut off. The machines sole purpose has to be to run your machine...and thats it. When your running G-code, the milling machine doesn't care if the PC is sending a datapacket over the internet, or asking you if you want to update your software....It's gonna crash a tool because it didn't think to wait.:rofl:

I'm no electronics guru by any means. The new computer hardware is designed for mutitasking. These Mach 3 setups are designed for 1 thing, doing CNC. The parrallel port works because it's super simple. Each wire in the connector sends out the pulse for its particular stepper. There's no special decoding necessary., and there's no feedback coming thru on the same wire. The simplicity of it, is what makes it reliable. All the background operations in XP basically get shut off. The machines sole purpose has to be to run your machine...and thats it. When your running G-code, the milling machine doesn't care if the PC is sending a datapacket over the internet, or asking you if you want to update your software....It's gonna crash a tool because it didn't think to wait.:rofl:

Oh boy, this is going to be interesting... -All I can say...

Ray

Ray,

I'm sure you can get Windows 7 to run your smooth stepper over USB. Matt has been doing it successfully or he would be selling them with a C10 parallel controller. I think what you need to look at is what can you do to keep Mach 3 from tripping over Windows. Turn Windows update off so it doesn't try to look for patches until you decide on maintenance day. Shut down any unnecessary service like print spooler and a mess of others. Disable wifi while Mach runs.

If you see behavior problems during testing, is there a slot available for a cheap video card? Mach says that integrated video can cause skips because the processor is worried about video when it should be paying attention to Mach. Try dropping memory to 2 GB to ensure Mach is using address space in the signed integer range where 32 bit lives. Try 32 bit Windows 7 with 2 GB ram.

Grab some test g-code and run it in air through increasingly complex steps using a piece of drill rod instead of a costly end mill while you watch. Once satisfied get some machinable wax and run the same code with an end mill in it. Gather the wax up and melt it back together to try again. While I think you should proceed carefully, stay with the controller setup Matt put together and fix your computer to be compatible.

EMC software was created by the government back in the '60s as I recall and many years later was turned over to open source. LinuxCNC grew out of it. I don't know if Mach did an initial port to Windows as a starting point or built from scratch.

Congratulations on your new mill.
Dave

I confess I use usb control on my zx45 mill. it is a uc100 running under windows xp, it runs at 100khz allowing me to use a higher microstep of 1000 pulses per revolution and really making the motors smooth. but if I forget to shut down any programs I had running like my cad or cam software the uc100 will loose communication and stop working. that's probably a lack of available memory.
A good test g-code file is the roadrunner that comes with mach3, with lots of constant velocity moves, any loss of steps will show up If the machine does not return to exact zero when the code has completed. I use a marker to mark the ways with a fine line, run the program at 60ipm and then see if the lines come back to complete alignment. if they are off at all the machine is loosing steps.
not every version of mach3 works for every application. If you find a version of mach3 that works do not update, they tell you that on their site. machines shipped from cnc venders with mach3 are shipped with older versions and ask you not to update stating the version the machine was shipped with is the only stable version they suggest. hence the mach4 version they are trying to get running now.
mach3 has never worked correctly for threading on a cnc lathe, some get it to work some don't and that is a major reason for the different platform mach4 is being written in. mach3 cannot maintain sync with the spindle pulse for long thread lengths, it looses track an the next pass will destroy your thread. if you stay under about an inch and a half it works most of the time.
uc100 usb does not work for lathe either, it cant send real time spindle sync through usb without lag. I worked with the company for months beta testing and no answer was found as of 8 months ago. I haven't tried the last update I just went back to parallel port control on my lathe.
my point in all of this is mach3 is not stable for every computer and any version, add to that different versions of windows different bios, processors, motherboards ect and the problem becomes clear. " which one of all of these is causing the problem??? "
my lathe is running the version ending in 22 my mill is running 66 but there was a version I was using that was better. I lost track of what one it was when beta testing uc100 and swapping my controller from the lathe to mill. I think it was 44.
the problems in mach3 are not instantly apparent, sometimes it takes months before a certain order of code causes a problem. there are tons of vaguely covered settings people will tell you to set to this or that, but what works on your pc may not work on theirs.
once you have your machine is stable I'd suggest to leave it alone and not try tweaking.

I'm not knocking mach3 it is just great. I can't afford a Haas and without mach3 I would have never gotten into cnc.
Ray if you do get your pc to work with win7 64 bit a lot of people will want to know how, but your solution may very well not work for them.
Haas and other manufactures have an advantage over what we are doing, they use a computer to do only one thing. run their software on their machine and that is all it was ever intended to do.
my 3 cents :))
steve

Back