Mach 3 Issues Now

After getting help from member rdean I reconfigured my computers so they were close to my machine, and I could see it
I needed to calibrate my axis but I'm not sure I did it correctly. I wanted to move X axis, 0.500", it moved 0.0015.
I had accepted that and Mach 3 said it was calibrated. I did the same with Y, and Z. Did I do it correctly, is there a trick to it???
I loaded the test script we had made and, it did not work. The Z axis moved in the positive right up to the end of travel.
That made cutting the test square impossible as the Z moved to end of travel. I had hoped it would cut in the negative direction.
What am I doing wrong, what is happening here????????

Did you Zero all three axis at the origin for the test part? After you completed the calibration step, did you verify the calibration by doing a manual JOG and verifying that you got what you expected? for instance, move the head to the approximate center of your workspace and ZERO the X axis. Then manully enter G0 X1. Did the axis move 1" (or mm) is the expected direction, more? Less? Do this for the Y and Z axis.
By verifying that the system is moving the correct distance in the correct directions through manual GCode entry you know if you should look at the GCODE (CAM) for the error or your MACH3/Hardware for the issue

Boswell is right you must verify all axis are moving in the correct direction and amount. You should calibrate each axis several times and then measure with a dial indicator or caliper. The greater distance you measure at a time will be more accurate. Don't forget to account for any backlash before you make the calibration or measured move.
Ray

O.K. Here are the files I used, I remade the sprocket run file. When I used the jogging screen, the one that shows a pendant type image,(tab for screen)
The directionality was as it should be. What is driving me crazy is that when it starts the cut the Z travels in the opposite direction.
Please read the code and verify the axis movements, if it turns out to be correct I need some step by step direction in how to prepare for a cut!!
Can't load the other files, not on the list of accepted formats

Attachments

• SPROCKET RUN.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Your G-code looks OK. I suggest that your Z 0 is not set correctly when starting the cut. I normally set Z 0 with the tool at the surface of the material. With Mach3, you are working with 2 coordinate systems, the machine coordinates, and the work coordinates. (which makes no sense to me) Just make sure that the offsets are correct.

It works fine call me tonight if you want.
Ray

I am sorry I left out the test txt. file for the test cut.
One last ditch effort to understand.
You say the code looks good, o.k., but on my machine when the cycle hits line four
N50G00G43Z07874
The Z axis goes up, positive direction, shouldn't it be, negative, to cut into the material?
I have verified the axis directionality three times, the safe Zero is set at0.250".
I set my Zero at material surface, X&Y are set to Zero.
The Program Limits on the setting page are as follows:
X range; -1.5565 +1.5685
Y range; -1.5646 +1.5604
Z range; -0.1300 +0.7874
Shouldn't they be the same in each column????

Attachments

• test.txt
    560 bytes · Views: 5
The Z axis goes up, positive direction, shouldn't it be, negative, to cut into the material?

In your Test.text file:
No, that's the clearance plane for the tool, it should be positive. The next moves are rapid X&Y to 0 (for whatever reason, dunn0), then a rapid XYZ move to stage the tool into the first cut position. Then on the N100 line, the Z moves to -0.130 to plunge the tool into the work.

On line 50 am I reading this correct that it is moving to Z 7874. Is that in inches? if so, that would be over 650 ft up from Z Zero

On line 50 am I reading this correct that it is moving to Z 7874. Is that in inches? if so, that would be over 650 ft up from Z Zero

You caught that too! ;) In the test.txt file, it's Z0.7874

Back