m head

rubysdaddy

Registered
Registered
I am looking to buy an M head from a Bridgeport to adapt to my Hardinge tm. I would like to know just how much power does the M head have. I know that is a loaded question but I would like to know if it would be better than a mill drill machine,power wise or nearly the same

M heads maximum collet size for cutters is only 1/2". They are not as powerful as a full size mill drill. I think mine is 3/4 H.P.. Mine is a special 12,000 RPM hi speed M head,though. I have seen M heads mounted on Hardinge mills. They seem to mate up pretty well with the Hardinges.

Well Thank You George, kind of thought that, I guess I am trying to convince myself that is the route that I want to take. I have the Hardinge that I put a small enco head on it but it just don't have the power or rigidity that I would like. If anyone has a hardinge with an Mhead I would love to hear from you. Thank You

Hi, I'm no expert but here is what I can tell you about Bridgeport M heads. I have a 1942 Bridgeport round ram vertical millling machine with an M head. I'll agree with what the other fellow said about 1/2" max collet size. But I was able to purchase a set of end mill holders with the proper taper (mine is #7 Brown and Sharpe, there are also #2 Morse taper spindles and I think one other taper available, some kind of special Bridgeport taper). I got my #7 B&S collets and end mill holders from www.tools4cheap.net, but he is currently showing out of stock on the brown and sharpe tooling. #2 Morse tooling shouldn't be that hard to come by. My motor is 1/2 HP. It handles what I throw at it, but I can't really take real heavy cuts maybe 1/10" deep max in mild steel or less. Otherwise the splines on the spindle knock like crazy in the pully nut - some thick oil dripped into each spline goove helps with the noise. I put a variable frequency drive on mine (120 volt AC input and 220V 3 phase output good for 1/2 HP) so now I can get variable speeds with a lot less belt position changes. The quill travel on an M head is 3.5 inches versus probably 5 " or more on newer heads. Also no power quill feed which makes boring a pain, but there is really not enough mass in an M head to do a very good job at boring anyway. But an M head is a lot simpler than a J head or any of the newer Bridgeport heads, a lot less parts and things that can go wrong.

Not to hyjack, but is a m-head on a horizontal an upgrade to a RF30 clone?

bedwards

Shaskel Thanks for the reply,One question is there a fix for the spindle knocking or is that just what they do?

- - - Updated - - -

Bedward That was sorta my original question, maybe someone will chime in with that answer.

I've had my eye on one for my Model O Sheldon, but I'm not so sure it will be much of an improvement over my Grizzly round column. Where I live, there are very few inexpensive vertical mills for sale.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.

bedwards

Don`t worry about hijacking the thread. Im just wanting as much feedback as I can. I bought an m-head for my Hardinge but it may be a while before I have time to adapt it to the mill. I will post as soon as I do. Thanks

I bet it was the same one I was looking at. From the Machinist Web?

bedwards

Back