Lubrication Question? Nlgi 2 Grease

The factory grease looks like regular old dark brown grease.
Pebbleworm- If (when) I crash this lathe it will not be because of the lubricant! That is a very interesting article by the way.
R

Last edited:
My understanding is the NGLI #2 is a consistency or thickness of the grease. Not what it is made out of.

My understanding is the NGLI #2 is a consistency or thickness of the grease. Not what it is made out of.
That is correct. After reading up on this, NGLI 2 only refers to viscosity. Grease typically has (1) a mineral oil, (2) a thinkener, (3) additives. All thickeners are not compatible. For example clays and metal soaps are both used as thickeners and they are not compatible. I remain perplexed as to why a manufacturer would not tell you the exact type of grease they use.
I am leaning towards using Superlube since another owner has had good results. Also it is safe for food contact in case I am eating and need to work on the lathe. Or perhaps turn down a hot dog to fit in a bun?
R

That is correct. After reading up on this, NGLI 2 only refers to viscosity. Grease typically has (1) a mineral oil, (2) a thinkener, (3) additives. All thickeners are not compatible. For example clays and metal soaps are both used as thickeners and they are not compatible. I remain perplexed as to why a manufacturer would not tell you the exact type of grease they use.
I am leaning towards using Superlube since another owner has had good results. Also it is safe for food contact in case I am eating and need to work on the lathe. Or perhaps turn down a hot dog to fit in a bun?
R
From years with obscure european cars, owned by fearful owners, I say just don't mix vegetable oil with petroleum . This is where the insolubile
Lumps come from, and they must be removed with nasty chemicals,and replaced
with a serious recommendation from an engineer at the oil Co. or machine buildcr.
......BLJHB

Sooo....
I got an email back today from South Bend Lathe Company. They now indicate that a lithium based grease should be used! I like that, and the prompt reply. They plan to add this information to future revisions of the manual.
I also found that Superlube uses "Fumed silica" as the thickener.
I guess the Mobile 1 is back in.
R

Last edited:
If you can get a dab of the OEM grease from somewhere on the lathe, mix it well with a dab of your chosen grease and let sit. If there is any obvious compatibility problem it might show up. Keep the mix for a few months to see how stable it is.

To hedge your bets, when starting to use your new grease, apply often and generously to flush out the old grease more quickly.

Monitor the temperature of the spindle bearings right from the start-up until you are confident about the new grease.

I understand and applaud the care you are taking to get to know your new lathe. Happy turning!

Reactions: rwm
Sooo....
I got an email back today from South Bend Lathe Company. They now indicate that a lithium based grease should be used! I like that, and the prompt reply. They plan to add this information to future revisions of the manual.
I also found that Superlube uses "Fumed silica" as the thickener.
I guess the Mobile 1 is back in.
R
Superlube claims compatability with lithium greases so it may still be an option.
http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs/Grease Compatibility.pdf

Just though I would provide some followup on the Mobil 1 grease. The lathe seems to be running fine with cool bearings. However....the red dye and oil are separating from the grease base. There is thin red fluid leaking out of the gun and to a lesser degree at the bearings. This is occurring indoors in a temperature controlled environment. It's a mess and I will not be using this again. I am surprised. Has anyone else seen this issue?
R

Yes, I get the oil leaking too. It may take me a few years to use up a large tube of grease. By then the oil has leaked out enough for the grease to thicken and for me to have a mess to clean up.

Back