Lubrication Question? Nlgi 2 Grease

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My new lathe calls for NLGI #2 grease for the spindle bearings and end gears. Can I use any NGLI #2 lubricant? I have a tube of Mobil One Synthetic grease (lithium grease I believe.) Will that be satisfactory?

510AP2SMHzL._SL1000_.jpg
Thanks
Robert

510AP2SMHzL._SL1000_.jpg

510AP2SMHzL._SL1000_.jpg

510AP2SMHzL._SL1000_.jpg

510AP2SMHzL._SL1000_.jpg

510AP2SMHzL._SL1000_.jpg

i would warn against mixing synthetic and non-synthetic greases.
i have replaced scores of bearings because of their incompatibility .
It literally can form a ball of highly viscous goo that no longer provides lubrication, quite the opposite- it adds drag, & heat in the process.
Lots of plant mechanics mix syn/non syn greases- then call me in after the failures to clean up the messes they create.

IMO,
Mobil 1 is an excellent choice for your spindle bearings.
if you are going to use the mobil 1 it's best to remove bearings, clean them with solvent, repack with the mobil 1 and then reassemble and set running clearance

Last edited:
OK....
If its this complicated:
Articles_200902_grease-compatibility-chart.gif
Why the heck wouldn't the manufacturer state what kind of grease they used at the factory and give a specific recommendation other than just NLGI 2???

I am loathe to dissect the spindle on a new machine. That may be above my pay grade anyway.
R

'C' and 'I' were easy ... compatible and incompatible. 'B' had me scratching my head until I a chart with a legend ... borderline ... a scientific\engineering term meaning "you're on your own".

Sorry, I thought the labels were attached.
I wrote to a guy with my lathe who is using Superlube. It contains PTFE and is NLGI 2. He highly recommends it. Anyone have experience with that stuff?
R

Superlube is good stuff too.
i have used it extensively for conveyor bearings.
if the previous owner used superlube, i would continue the practice .

Superlube is good stuff too.
i have used it extensively for conveyor bearings.
if the previous owner used superlube, i would continue the practice .
I meant another guy with the same model lathe. He seems pretty knowledgeable since he examines his grease with a microscope periodically! My lathe is new so presumably the bearings are packed with something at the factory. I would assume it's not lithium synthetic but they don't indicate what it is.
Thanks for the reply, I may try the Superlube. It says it is "compatible with most lubricants."
R

can you see any grease from the factory on any of the grease zerks or anywhere else for that matter?
the color can sometimes give away what type of grease they used.
white, cream/yellow, black, red are common colors
superlube is near clear in color, slightly whiteish blue

Last edited:
Back