Lubricant or preservative?

PaulH

Registered
Registered
I am well along in cleaning and varnish and rust removal of an ancient Buffalo Forge drill press. This will be a working addition to my unheated "shop" so I'd like to coat the cleaned surfaces with something that will prevent rust and have some lubricating qualities. Are the new synthetic greases resistant to drying and hardening? Anti wear hydraulic oils work up to a point, but in an open environment they will tend to absorb moisture and emulsify. I notice on my other machines, chain saw bar oil has fantastic retention and rust resistance, can't be beat on open gears and ways, but very difficult to wipe off when it inevitably becomes loaded with dust and chips. Maybe there is no substitute miracle lube?

Rust is inevitable here without extraordinary precautions. A machine rebuilder turned me on to Fluid Film which you can pick up in auto parts stores. It's lanolin based and what the navy uses. Not cheap but never dries out and easy to clean up and non toxic. There's a DIY formula that also uses lanolin and ATF that when my can of Fluid Film dies I'll go to somebody's name Red.....hopefully somebody who remembers the name will be along shortly.

Last edited:
DIY Lanolin seems to be the ticket.
There's a ton of threads here on the subject matter.

I like Fluid Film, Has lanolin seems to do well in my semi heated shop. I did also put in a ceiling fan that I leave on all the time to keep air moving. That appears to help also.

Thanks a bunch guys! I should have thought of the lanolin compounds...after trying every store bought concoction known to man, nothing works on my black powder guns (semi burnt saltpeter, sulfur and carbon is a harsh test) like lanolin and natural salt free animal fats.

There's a DIY formula that also uses lanolin and ATF that when my can of Fluid Film dies I'll go to somebody's name Red.....hopefully somebody who remembers the name will be along shortly.
See post #6 by Bob Korves

See post #6 by Bob Korves
Post #6 is not Bob...

Post #6 in this thread is indeed not Bob Korves. But there's a #6 in the upper right corner of his post in the thread I linked to. I suppose I could have been a little less succinct in my post above. Sorry if it caused any confusion.

Back