LS Starrett Company Sold to a Private Firm

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOOK UP ! I was editing as you were typing . Great minds think alike ! :grin::big grin::p

Well hopefully we don't see the day when they sell out all the real barn dust! Then we're really screwed.
NEVER HAPPEN WILL ! I'm well stocked up . Make a deal with ya . Next month when I get up to the property I'll load up 100 gallons , bring it on home with me and we can sell it by the quart jar . "Hobby Machinist Original 100+ Year Old Barn Dust " ! Guarenteed to add 75% value to anything . :D

My place in NY with dirt floors . :big grin:

Attachments

• IMG_8587.JPG
    IMG_8587.JPG
    775.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8605.JPG
    IMG_8605.JPG
    783.5 KB · Views: 32
When this happens, the firm tries to maximize profits at all costs. Of course this means quality is sacrificed along with the employees moral who actually take pride in what they do. Then those employees leave taking their experience with them. It'll be a long time to dig out of this if they ever come back.

Investment firms have managed to buyout several of our local air carriers up here and generally service has suffered.

I hope I'm wrong, but "investment" firms aren't usually "investing' to carry on the traditions of quality and customer service. They are investing to make as much money as possible.

Then again, a private equity firm may just be the thing that saves them from going out of business. The company I worked for was not publicly traded for decades. When we came up with good ideas, we could spend whatever it took to make them successful. We didn't have to satisfy stockholders with quarterly earnings, and dividends. When the company became part of a publicly traded company stockholder interests came before product or business improvement interests. The company still exists, but their breakthroughs in new products and marketing strategy has stagnated.

They determine the time of death by what insect life is present- these would be the blowflies,
the first to arrive
The private equity blowflies

Last edited:
We in Ohio have gone through this with several industries. Machine Tools, Brownhoist, sewing machines, clothing, trucks, cars, ship building, forging, casting, smelting, steel making, light bulbs and on and on.
Cleveland made electric cars back at the turn of the last century,
When you "tour" the buildings it is very sad feeling the loss of history and what seems like a loss of life itself.
Most of the buildings sit vacant until torn down, these buildings were built in an era of lead based paint and asbestos, many toxins were disposed of on the property, improperly.
Unfortunately businesses are in business to make a profit and if they can't they either make changes or disappear.
I hope Remington is around for two hundred more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back