Lower Temp Filler for Brazing?

David2011

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In the course of restoring the guns on the battleship Texas it’s often necessary to braze broken or worn parts. Today I had to braze a previous repair on a gear for the traverse sight adjustment on a 5” gun. There’s an unbelievable amount of bronze on the ship. The problem I’ve had is that common brazing rod melts at just a few degrees below the melting point of the bronze. I believe that the melting point of the rod is 1598 degrees F. Needless to say, it makes repairs very challenging. I spent almost as much time filling in melted areas as I did brazing the parts back together.

I’m looking for suggestions for a different rod that has good strength and the ability to build thickness when that’s what I want. I’ve been gas welding and brazing for a long time but usually using bronze rod on steel or cast iron. I feel like I can control temperature pretty well; just need a friendlier rod.

Silver solder of some sort may be an option for you. It's very strong and has a lower melting point than either
brass or bronze. StaySilv15 comes to mind and is probably available in other alloys as well. It's somewhat
expensive but it might just be perfect for you for some applications.

Thanks, gentlemen. Harris also has a Stay-Silv 15 substitute that looks promising.

Back