Low Feed-speed???

RegisG

Registered
Registered
I understand the feed/speed rules for cutting BUT, as new person, will I have problems if I run very slow for awhile? Until I get more accustomed to all adjustments that is. For example, can I run lathe at 150rpm and just keep feed slow enough for the metal type? Or, will that somehow cause issues that I'm not aware of?

Same on mill. Can I go much slower than suggested feed/speed?

Thanks,
Regis

Well here's the thing (i'm new too)

speed /also/ cools down your workpiece, you start cutting into it, the metal gets hot, but then bing! the chip flies away and that heat is removed from the part, that is your ideal situation..

A slower work speed typically causes more rubbing, and more heat, which is what causes all kinds of bad things to happen, sorter metals melt, harder metals harden, ect.
You can run with slower feed rates, but you still have to use proper speed (rpm) on the mill/lathe/ect. to match or else see above heat.

I think really low feed rates may cause some weirdness, but i'm not sure.

The experts say it is not good. However, that is how I taught myself (and still go slow when I'm unsure). You might wear out (dull) tools a little bit sooner, but the alternative for me was to ruin stuff outright - both tools and material.

If I was starting over again, teaching myself from books & cds, I would do the same again (slow things down) and build speed as I built confidence.

This would depend entirely on the tooling that you are using would it not?
If one is grinding HSS tools then do whatever works in this application.

If one were to use inserted tooling that was designed specifically for the fastest possible MRR and ran it slowly you may experience interesting results.

Do not expect a tool designed to run at 800 SFM at a .015" feedrate to work well at 100 SFM and .004 feed regardless of how much it costs, that is not it's intended purpose.

Slow things down until you're comfortable. You'll be fine.

Do not expect a tool designed to run at 800 SFM at a .015" feedrate to work well at 100 SFM and .004 feed regardless of how much it costs, that is not it's intended purpose.

This is why i almost always buy finishing inserts if I can find them. The insets I'm using for steel right now are rated for feeds as low as 0.004 ipr.

Let her fly, you'll figure it out. Listen to what it's telling you by the sound. Noise like stepping on a cats tail is usually not good.
Thanks ron

For what your doing youll be ok. It will effect some materials more then others. Some steels and stainless will work harden with too light of a cut or prolonged rubbing. If you stick to regular steel and aluminum or other soft metals it will be ok. It will wear out cutters differently then cutting at proper speeds. But as a beginner its better too slow then too fast. Nothing will kill a tool as fast as running it too hot.

Back