Losing my knobs...

I had the same problem on my 6" Atlas. I applied Loctite green Bearing Retainer to it, tapped it back together and let it sit overnight. Has been holding for over 2 years. Cheap, easy, and works.
Bobby

Some of my knobs on the Atlas were also loose. Cleaned them with brake cleaner, hit the parts with compressed air, applied lock-tite, and in12 hours they were as good as new. If they ever fail, simply repeat the process. No muss, no fuss, no pain and you don't have to deface the wheels.

Mine was so loose I roughed it up and filled the space with epoxy. Still in place today at the new owners garage.
Pierre

I took the advice here and used the red (permanent) Loctite and it is holding nicely. Thanks!

Spray the parts with carb cleaner to remove any grease/oil residue. Let dry a few minutes, then hit it with some "locktite', tomorrow it is as tight as can be. If it comes out later, simply reapply. Works like a charm on my Atlas 10F.:thinking:

The knob on my carriage traverse wheel is loose and falls out. It sure would be nice to have that thing on a roller bearing, but right now it just slips out when I try and use it to quickly return the carriage for another cut!

Anyway, if I just peen the shank and re-press it back will it stay, or do I need to look at more extreme fixes?

I am not a pro at all but this is what I do to fix that .
#1 take the carriage wheel off
#2 clean it good the wheel and the knob
#3 get you some Loctite 242 Thread locker
#4 drill a hole in the wheel and knob at the same point and get a split pin
#5 put the Loctite on and put the pin in
I did this on a band saw 5 or so years back and it is holding
Today . And if it's a knob that don't turn drill it out and use a wheel bolt like one that you use
on a lawnmower wheel and you have a roller knob on your carriage
Make it work like to window crank in a car the handle rotates
if that what you won't imagesCA1GQA14.jpg

imagesCA1GQA14.jpg

Back