Loose pulley bearing

Clean the housing and bearing case with a spirit base cleaner and as said use one of the Loctite products .
Blue or red ( 666?) is quite good it can take 20 thousandths of an inch up quite easily so long as you let it cure for 24 hrs in a warm place.
I've put glued in bearings back into in 2500 pound gear box on various drive and they were dragging 106 tons imperial around with my glued in bearings.

Do make sure the bearing is in tip top order for you'd be unwise to Loctite a worn one back in place. Check the balance of the shaft as well and any bearing on the other end of the shaft .

:thinking:I wouldn't recommend knurling or dot punching anything as suggested .

:talktogod:That's not how engineers do things if they want it to work & stay put :panic::lmao:.

Last edited:
My 8520 had the same problem when I got it. I purchased replacement bearings and machined a steel sleeve to fit in the pulley. Machined the pulley for the sleeve to fit. The sleeve was pressed in, then touched up in the lathe for the bearing to be a light press fit in the sleeve. Done deal.

:thinking:I wouldn't recommend knurling or dot punching anything as suggested .

If the knurling didn't work you could always bore it out later. Kinda a tossup, I highly doubt OP has a ID knurler (automotive tool for tightening wrist pin holes) but he might not have a lathe either..... I guess a sleeve would be made on a rotary table.....:thinking:

I agree and would not try the Knurling of the OD of the bearing. The best method would be to bore the hole a little bigger and add a sleeve to tighten the fit. This guarantees the bearing still being centered. If you are off just a bit when using the other methods you stand a real good chance of getting a heck of a vibration from the out of round pulley.

"Billy G"

I.....machined a steel sleeve to fit in the pulley. Machined the pulley for the sleeve to fit. The sleeve was pressed in, then touched up in the lathe for the bearing to be a light press fit in the sleeve. Done deal.

What material did you use for the sleeve?

thanks, Brian

I had a chunk of mystery metal laying around, probably 4140 steel or similar, not entirely sure just what it was, but it machined okay. I drilled and bored the ID, then cut the OD down and cleaned it up. Parted off the resulting sleeve and chamfered the ends both inside and out. Sleeve thickness was about 0.125" when it was done. When I pressed it into the pulley I applied a layer of Loctite red to the sleeve, then pressed it in. The Loctite was more to provide a buffer between the aluminum and the steel to help prevent electrolysis between the dissimilar metals.

Back