Looking to buy my first metal lathe

Hi Dale,

Mr. rightway is offering very sound advice. While it is "possible" to get a lathe "with everything" for $1500 - it is not very realistic. Perhaps, if you are in just the right place at the right time and everything works out - the same applies to winning a lottery. Keep doing your research, get your space, transport and power issues sorted. Learn your local market, look at some machines, find out what they go for. Save your money - when the right machine comes along, be prepared to move fast. Also, don't focus too much on the price, focus on what you want/need - and then pay for it.

There is a never ending "discussion" on these forums on the relative merits of buying a new (Chinese) machine vs. "Old American Iron". I guess I'm in the OAI camp, since I'm in the process
of refurbishing a 10" Logan. However, buying an old machine is time consuming (to find a decent one), involves financial uncertainty and results in the lathe becoming the project for some
time, unless you are lucky enough to find a turn key machine. And, you have to like working on old stuff. Many members of this forum fit that description, but the first question
to ask yourself is if you do. If not, then a new machine makes sense. Also, the new machines tend to come with all the usual accessories, and they aren't worn out. What they don't come with is all the other tooling
you'll need. This isn't just cutting tools. If you're new, you have to budget for a wide array of other tools that are not lathe specific, but necessary. Micrometers, dial indicators, taps, dies,
drills, etc., etc., etc. The list is pretty big actually. So, I have to agree with Chipper, $1500 might get a lathe in the door, but you will need to budget more for all the other stuff you'll need.
I'm NOT trying to discourage you, but just trying to be realistic.

You should resist the temptation to buy a small, cheap lathe and cheap tools as well. If you do, you will quickly become dissatisfied and will want to step up to better stuff, resulting in higher cost
overall. Quality tools are available used on eBay at substantial discounts and almost everyone has sales, if you can wait a bit. Without knowing what you want to make, it's hard to know
how big a machine you'll need. Having said that, a 10-11 inch machine is a reasonable size to start with. Machines above that size tend to be bigger, more expensive, use more expensive
tooling, are heavy and thus more difficult to move and have power requirements that have to be considered. Smaller machines are pretty limited in what they can do, unless you plan on
making small parts.

I don't know anything about the Grizzly, but in that class of machine you could also look at Jet and Precision Mathews. Have a look at the brand specific threads on this forum and
you'll learn a lot about them.

Hi Dale,

Inless you are really cramped for space, My guess is the Grizzly you mentioned may end up being to small. Personally, for me, the ideal minimum bed length is 36". 48" is better. This enables you to turn 18" to 24" shafts, axles etc. and have the flexibility to work with longer lengths as needed. I am sure the 22" bed length on the grizzly will be a handicap of sorts, once you get involved in machining. If you can bite the bullet on cost, stepping up to a longer bed will pay off in the long run.

Also I would say your first consideration could be to spend some more time mulling over what kind of lathe work you might want to get into. Some people are very happy with small, 6" CNC style hobby machines and use them to make very small working models of steam engines, miniature aircraft motors, etc. others go the route of building 7 1/2" gauge (1 1/2" scale) locomotives or re building motorcycles and old cars, thus focus on lathes with 12" -14" clearance at the chuck. Yet others find they simply like restoring old equipment and making tooling. So if you decide on a particular interest to start, that will help determine your initial size of machine.

As a rule, a lot of hobby machinists outgrow small lathes and sooner or latter go to a 9", 12" or even 14" machines.

Regardless of your direction, the main thing is - buy a lathe in good condition. New is nice, but expensive. Used is where many more people turn. Badly worn ways, rounded chuck jaws (old worn out chucks), Noisy headstock, worn ridges on the bottom of tailstock, etc will hurt your machining ability and learning curve immensely. So I would encourage you to shop around and look at as many machines as you can. Visit your local live steam club (miniature train people) and ask folks if you can look at their shops. Often club members have stuff for sale and will be open with you about condition. Even take a night class at your local community college. Then keep an eye out for a machine that has been well taken of over the years.

For example, I recently acquired a South Bend Fourteen for $2500 with very little wear, to replace my first, really worn out 1950 big iron machine. Took two years of off and on looking, but the difference in making parts is like night and day.

You are in Ohio! Sort of the center of the universe for machine tools. Craig's list is your friend . Shop around within 500 or 1000 miles and iam sure you will find an ideal, nice machine. Happy hunting!!

Glenn

Dale, you have found a place with a lot of good input for sure.
After going down the same road as you for the past year on a lathe I will throw in my take on the subject.
It seemed no matter what size lathe I looked at I was always encourage to go bigger. You can always do small work on a bigger machine, but it is tough to do bigger work on a small machine.
Space and funds were my main thoughts on the size I could go with.
I looked at several of the grizzlies and kept moving up and up in size the more I read and listened. I figured the size and weight I went with for available space. I was looking at $15-1900 plus another $500 at least in needed tooling.
I was already to pull the trigger when I just about tripped over a very very well cared fore, Sheldon lathe that was local to me. Mind you I had searched high and low and went to several sales and auctions with no luck.
The Sheldon is a bit bigger than I planned on, but still movable in my citation. No it is not modern, VFD or DRO but it did come with lots of extras original and modern.
I spent about the same money but ended up with a better heavier machine.
I suggest you step back and think of the largest thing you would consider tackling.
What kind of tolerances you can live with.
Your space that is available.
The funds you have for the machine plus the extras that don't come with it.
Don't forget a stand or base. If you make one I would sure read up on that.

Its working guys I am extending my budget just sold off an extra quad. This is exactly why I wanted input from experienced machinists. Now I will look around in the brand specific posts and see what I can come up with. Thanks you for the help. I guess I found a good place right off the bat.

Go for the biggest lathe you can afford and have room for. You will still wish it was a little bigger at times.

Back