Looking for tips on turning keystock.

I haven't taken off more than .004" total so far (.002" on each pass),stopped before things could go wrong,thought I ask first.
I'll try to support it with tailstock., thanks.

2" is sticking out, no support of any kind. I tried to knock the edges with a file , way too tough for that but I like the grinding idea.
This will not work well, 8 diameters out of the chuck is entirely to much. If allowed drill a center hole and hold the free end in a center with the tail stock. If this is not allowed you are in for a world of trouble.
Good Luck

To make an indexer to machine a square round stock take a piece of 1" square stock about drill a hole for a snug slip fit and drill and tap for a set screw that wont stick out.

This will not work well, 8 diameters out of the chuck is entirely to much. If allowed drill a center hole and hold the free end in a center with the tail stock. If this is not allowed you are in for a world of trouble.
Good Luck
That's why I stopped,something didn't feel right. will use the tailstock/center tomorrow.
will report back .
Thank you all, for all your comments.

To make an indexer to machine a square round stock take a piece of 1" square stock about drill a hole for a snug slip fit and drill and tap for a set screw that wont stick out.
I have done a few screws like that, wanted to try a single piece screw with square head out of keystock.

Use your key stock but only have it stick out of the chuck say ¾”. Turn it down to within say 0.005”. Now rechuck the stock another ¾” out. Turn that portion down to within 0.005”. Now rechuck to your desired length. Turn down the last bit to 0.005”. Now turn the whole thing down. Taking that 0.005” should not be a problem. Or, do the steps above but turn down to actual size when rechucking. Then take a file and dress if necessary. 1018 can be gummy, use cutting oil!

Use your key stock but only have it stick out of the chuck say ¾”. Turn it down to within say 0.005”. Now rechuck the stock another ¾” out. Turn that portion down to within 0.005”. Now rechuck to your desired length. Turn down the last bit to 0.005”. Now turn the whole thing down. Taking that 0.005” should not be a problem. Or, do the steps above but turn down to actual size when rechucking. Then take a file and dress if necessary. 1018 can be gummy, use cutting oil!
I didn't think about turning it that way , it'll be a slowww process but it will work , I'm just not a patient man :D, I'll give it a try if tailstock support doesn't work out.

View attachment 243493

I Meant to use the square stock to index the round stock.
Here is a hex block I made to mill a hex.

That's really smart Kd, you meant I should make my own square block out of 1" square stock, will a single set screw be strong enough to hold the round stock? maybe a couple will do a better job.I like that idea but before I go that way I still want to try to support the workpiece like we talked about, since it is already in the chuck ready to go.
Thanks for great suggestions you all.

That's why I stopped,something didn't feel right. will use the tailstock/center tomorrow.
will report back .
Thank you all, for all your comments.
This assumes that a center is allowed of course. The interrupted cut will prove difficult at best, nothing good ever comes from this.

Started a job today, 360 free machining brass hex stock 1" across the flats, 15/16-27 external thread with a .781 bore thru, makes quite a racket when knocking the corners off at first.
750 parts in a machine not suited for this type of work. The good part is that once I get it programmed and tooled someone else will run the next 700 parts.

This assumes that a center is allowed of course. The interrupted cut will prove difficult at best, nothing good ever comes from this.
I'll know tomorrow if I can center drill the end for a dead center support, I agree the interrupted cut was unnerving and very discouraging.
750 parts in a machine not suited for this type of work.
I know what you mean, I'm using a mini lathe to do this , fortunately I'm only turning 2 or 4 screws not 750.:black eye:

Back