Looking For Replacement Motor For Th54

In all honesty the motor I got it so quiet and runs so well I'm thinking about building a new motor mount to replace the original atlas mount so everything works correctly. I should have all the material to make it. I may have to make hinges but that should be it really. And this motor is multi voltage single phase. Jade manual reset overload
Protection and I paid 139$ all said and done with a 3 year replacement plan

Regards-Carlo

Cat no: 2720
Where did you get the motor from?

Regards-Carlo
Carlo,

I bought the motor from Grainger.

The Atlas No. 2720 is listed in several Atlas catalogs as being suitable for the Atlas 10" lathe. So I don't understand why you say that it doesn't fit. Perhaps your countershaft assembly is incorrectly assembled?

Carlo,

I bought the motor from Grainger.

The Atlas No. 2720 is listed in several Atlas catalogs as being suitable for the Atlas 10" lathe. So I don't understand why you say that it doesn't fit. Perhaps your countershaft assembly is incorrectly assembled?

I'd suspect my motor mounting pad is incorrect before I'd think the countershaft is incorrect. I say that because from seeing others lathes mine looks to be correct. My 56 frame only aligns with two bolts towards the rear of the pad. I got the pulleys all aligned now but I had to leave two pads unbolted.

Regards-Carlo

I just smoked the motor on my atlas and just put something on I had kicking around. 1/3hp up to 3/4 is fine. I buy old tools and often only for the motors. Get something for $30 and use the motor and parts. The motor mounts on the older stuff is almost always the same.

Here are tables showing the frame numbers Walker-Turner used for their flavor of Kingston Conley motors. They were taken from a 1942 WT catalog. Note the 118 frame number, for example on the KAB5 motor.

mtr_data1.PNG
mtr_data2.PNG

According to that chart I think I need a 56HZ frame for it to be correct mounting. For now I'll leave it be though. So far it's working good. I actually got to make some decent cuts on some real gummy material ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429149969.445774.jpg

Regards-Carlo

I agree with leaving well enough alone for now. I'm still puzzled, however, as to why the original Atlas motor didn't fit the motor mounting bracket on the 10F lathe.

I can attempt to get pictures at some point if it may help. I also would like to know why it wouldn't. If it is the original in going to find someone who can rebuild it.

Regards-Carlo

In all probability, the Atlas motor is original to the lathe.

Next time that I call Clausing, I will try to get a drawing of the original 10" motor mount. I know that you wrote the motor frame size earlier but I can't seem to locate it and can't read it off of the nameplate. So would you please repeat it?

Back