Looking For Qc Gear Sources.

Have you considered using a gear made from Hostaform for the 45 tooth gear? Hostaform is an engineering plastic. Here in the UK a 45 tooth, mod 1.25 (metric, sorry, but about the same size as 20 dp), can be bought for £6 or less - say about $9. Perhaps in the US imperial gears are available in Hostaform.

http://bit.ly/1OrfuUk

Not sure about a source for the one with the key in it 10-1523. I think I would still try and give atlas a call. I know that they are cheaper sometimes than buying used. Phone # 800-323-0972. The internal key would be an issue to making or modifying another gear. Maybe brooch a keyway and tig weld in a key.

Here is a source of a gear that might work for the 45t if the face is wide enough. http://www.amazon.com/Ametric®-S2045-Steel-Teeth-Projection/dp/B00DC3X0UE

As spiral_chips mentioned the gears on the right side are 20db and all are 14.5 degree pressure angle.

Last edited:
If your original 20T gear was seized on the shaft, odds are that the internal key was already sheared off. Two or three people either here or on the Yahoo A-C Group have reported successfully broaching a new keyway and silver soldering a 1/8" square key into it. And cleaning up with a jeweler's file until it was a slip fit on the shaft. I would recommend breaking the sharp corners of the keyway about 1.32" x 45 deg. before installing the key.

I actually wouldn't mind getting that.I was going to try and just build it from the picture, doesn't look too complicated.

Was it ground mailed to you or was it electronic?

Mailing stuff to Canada from the US can get sketchy (ie: pricey) depending on which way they send it....

It was ground mailed to me. It is a regular blueprint and regular blueprint size. It was $5.00 dollars even and shipping was $6.10. Not sure about sending to Canada.

Not sure about a source for the one with the key in it 10-1523. I think I would still try and give atlas a call. I know that they are cheaper sometimes than buying used. Phone # 800-323-0972. The internal key would be an issue to making or modifying another gear. Maybe brooch a keyway and tig weld in a key.

Here is a source of a gear that might work for the 45t if the face is wide enough. http://www.amazon.com/Ametric®-S2045-Steel-Teeth-Projection/dp/B00DC3X0UE

As spiral_chips mentioned the gears on the right side are 20db and all are 14.5 degree pressure angle.

Wow man thanks for the ideas. That was the best idea i thought of too was to broach a new key way into the gear and solder or tig a new key in there and clean up the shaft a bit as the key did shear off and spun itself into a sieze on the shaft.

Thats a good idea with the amazon one. Ill have some searching to do tonight. And decide what to do.

Have you considered using a gear made from Hostaform for the 45 tooth gear? Hostaform is an engineering plastic. Here in the UK a 45 tooth, mod 1.25 (metric, sorry, but about the same size as 20 dp), can be bought for £6 or less - say about $9. Perhaps in the US imperial gears are available in Hostaform.

http://bit.ly/1OrfuUk
Interesting idea. Id have to look into it.

If you purchase generic gears for the QCGB be aware that Atlas QCGBs have 16 dp gears on the left side of the box (internal gears), but the right side gears are 20 dp. (dp = Diametral Pitch).

Spiral_Chips
Thats exactly right. I measured them last night and i said hmm these dont match up and i thought that was a bit odd but the are from two different sides. The bigger one is from the carriage feed (right) and the small one is from the left.

Atlas used to sell a little tool that went in the milling attachment for making gears. Or maybe it was blueprints, can't remember exactly. There's a not very good picture of it in one on the lathe manuals I've downloaded under the "attachments" chapter.

Basically a shaft in a bearing block.

One end had an indexing stop and you put the gear you wanted to replicate on that end. Your blank went on the other and you spun a gear cutter on an arbour that went between centers.the stop on the gear end would index the blank end and then it was just a matter of cutting. Handy little thing if you had enough of a gear left to replicate.

Would be pretty easy to make one of those little tools out of inexpensive scraps.

Assuming you already had the cutter and milling attachment that is....bit of money there.

:)
I want to try my hand at cutting my own gears. I mean come on we all should atleast attempt it seeing as how they were made on a mill or lathe to begin with. Lol
Its like when you purchase a lathe or mill you have no excuses because you can make the parts.

Back