Looking for info JET- 1240PY

mike96

Registered
Registered
Just picket up a Jet 1240py over the weekend for $1250. This is my first real lathe and from what I can tell it is in pretty good condition. it was not fully operational at the time of inspection, It had a broken belt and there was no 220 outlet in the garage it was in. The guy I purchased from said it had belonged to his father and he didn't seem to know much about it, as he said he was more into construction that machine work. But, I spun the spindle by hand and ran it thru all the gears and didn't feel or hear anything that was cause for alarm. The ways looked like they had almost no wear to them so I tightened the saddle lock up a tag by hand and moved it back and forth and did not feel any change in tightness in the movement, so I am fairly confident there is almost no wear in the ways. It is missing a couple of things, for one the hand wheel for the cross slide, so I will have to make one, and maybe a change gear or two but I am not really sure. It came with a manual which is very difficult to read (bad engrish translation) so I am not sure what all it was suppose to come with.

I am mainly trying to get an idea of what all it came with so I can start acquiring/manufacturing things that I need for full functionality.

Does any one know what size the belts are to start with. My plan was to get one of those piece together link belts and get the approximate size then take that over to the bearing/belt/chain place here in phoenix and pick up some new replacement belts. But If I can get that info from here I would appreciate it much.

Thanks in advance
Mike.

OK, went thru the manual again for the 10th time and I think I figured out the belt size. there is a reference in the small type font parts phish that points to a small chunk of where the belt is and gives a size. It was difficult to see at first.

Mike.

Sounds like a winner, pictures?

Nice, just upload your pictures here so folks without Google can see it.

20220516_173840.jpg

John

Here are a few more pics. getting the headstock the rest of the way apart so I can change the belt. I have the base on the ground and level. the bed should only be off the base for a couple of more days until it is painted. Then it will all get moved again when the concrete guys come to rip up the carport and redo the front of the house. I didnt want it sitting on the trailer for several months....

20220522_080417.jpg

A couple of pics of the ways

20220522_080312.jpg
20220522_080316.jpg

The lathe in the nude...

20220522_204728.jpg

starting to put some lipstick on this pig... LOL. Nothing too fancy, brush painting not spraying (didn't feel like trying to clear out the carport and masking off a ton of stuff for over spray). Base, saddle, tail stock, top cover, gearbox and change gear cover will all be red. The bed, head stock and chip guard once I build one will be a light-medium gray.

20220523_120150.jpg20220523_120137.jpg

Has anyone with an older jet lathe been able to fully understand the manuals bad English translation and lack of information? I have almost all of the information on the threading table figured out except for one thing. If there is anyone that can shed some light on this subject I would appreciate the help. the table has a reference at the bottom "including 9 1/2 TPI" What the heck does that mean?????

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220529_063235.jpg
    20220529_063235.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 8
How are you getting on with the lathe?
That has to be one of the nicest stands I've seen for one of those lathes

Back