Looking for (constructive) recommendations

Thanks Ted. I hope you are right. At the same time, I'm a little concerned that the light drag that remains is enough friction to heat up the shaft causing it to expand and then bind.

I'm hoping a few folks will chime in on whether I need to dress it slightly more to get it spinning more freely.

Is there any form of lubrication at those journals ?

When you were turning the shaft it did move the dial, but the dwell time too short.

If bent it should have moved as an arc but instead it acted as it hits a bump in the shaft.

Are there any dents or nicks in the shaft?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The next step is to put the input gear on that shaft and check for runout at the base of the gear teeth. The bend in the shaft will translate into wobble of the gear, so put the indicator where it measures that wobble. If it doesn't wobble, go back to the shaft and look for issues where it is supported in the gearbox casting.

I did notice in the first video that you had trouble getting the unworn part of the shaft through the outboard bearing support. Is there a bushing in that spot? Is it in good shape?

I did notice in the first video that you had trouble getting the unworn part of the shaft through the outboard bearing support. Is there a bushing in that spot? Is it in good shape?
There is no bushing at either end. Just smooth holes through the casting

I'd say you are good. Bent shaft wouldn't blip like that. I would make sure no galling or burrs anywhere, make sure lubrication can get to where it needs to be and then run it. Make a new shaft if you want it perfect.

Are there any dents or nicks in the shaft?
Yes, especially on the part that's outside of the case where the drive gear goes on. When I disassembled it, I found that gear it was missing the key and was just being held on by a set screw. It had slipped as evidenced by the markings on the shaft.

Last edited:
Sounds Chinese, and if so, I would kind of expect this condition from new. Need to clean up and adjust.

@OT Machine. It is a Taiwan import. I know there are a LOT better machines out there, but i looked for quite a while before finding one in this size range at a price I could afford. Since I'm learning, I figured cleaning it up and then using it would help me learn. Then, if down the road I learn enough to need something better, I can upgrade then.

Back