Looking for (constructive) recommendations

Does the housing bolt to something? If it does bolt it to where it goes. It might have a twist in it just setting on a table. when did you remove the shaft? I am sure you checked for burrs and stoned them, right?

It does bolt to the bed casting; I didn't feel any change when I bolted it back in place. But, that was before I used the emory paper to get it fitting better.

I removed it about a week ago. It was snug then too, but I believe made a bit worse when I removed it (see above where there was a key I didn't know about). In any event, I have to assume I damaged it and am now working to correct as much as possible until I can re-make it.

And, yes, burs have been removed (there were a few of them).

@OT Machine. It is a Taiwan import. I know there are a LOT better machines out there, but i looked for quite a while before finding one in this size range at a price I could afford. Since I'm learning, I figured cleaning it up and then using it would help me learn. Then, if down the road I learn enough to need something better, I can upgrade then.
My intention was not to insult, rather just to say that in today’s world, with a vast majority of parts coming from China, substandard is the new norm, usually requiring some sort of rework to put into service. Yours, being from Taiwan, is definitely a step up from China, and will more likely serve you well.

No offense taken. I'm with you on the import quality. A buddy just bought a brand new Precision Matthews 940V. They're supposed to be one of the better import companies but his mill had flashing on the bottom of the table that impeded it from making full travel. Easy fix, but, unfortunately, he only found it when the table hit the base while auto feeding in the X direction. When the table hit, it stripped the *plastic* table feed gear. In his case, it was probably good that that gear was plastic so more damage wasn't done.

The lathe I got is a Samson TD-5AA (10" x 36" with a 1-3/8" hole thru the spindle). For my home/hobby shop, I think it will be plenty (I don't have room for a bigger lathe anyway).

Over the years as a Pro Machine repairman I have seen things like this happen. You take something apart and it gets dinged up somehow and it won't fit when you assemble it. I like to do dry runs when I assemble spindles or shafts. Years ago I was replacing the spindle bearings in a K&T Horizontal mill inside a customers shop. We spent a day assembling a spindle without the new Timken bearings so we knew the gears would slide on with ease. We laid everything on a table so the the next day we could assemble the spindle with the new and expensive bearings and not have any issues.

The next day we started to assemble the spindle, sliding the new bearing on the shaft and when we got to the gear which was heavy and hard to align as we slid in the spindle and it would not slide on like it had the day before. We tried and tried and finally had to take out the spindle, it was a miracle we didn't ruin the new bearing. Once out we discovered a burr on the spindle that wasn't there the day before. It was getting close to quitting time and as we were getting ready to go home a nightshift machinist came over and said "sorry about knocking your parts on the floor last night"... He had ran into the table with a fork truck and the parts fell on the floor. That day we learned to double check everything as you assemble it plus we made signs and said DO NOT Touch.

Back