Looking for CAM software

They have made some changes to Fusion 360 licencing for the free versions, all though it will have no effect on my usage. They now require small businesses to submit for approval before they get to use Fusion for free, and they stripped the collaborative tools from the hobby version. This has no effect on my usage, and probably 99% of hobby users out there as I never used those features to begin with. I've always been worried that some MBA would decide they needed to charge everyone, but so far so good.

UPDATE:

I've been pretty busy with a number of other projects since I first posted this, but I'm finally getting ready for some serious looking and doing. Toward that end, I've sent some inquiries to Solidworks (which apparently has a CAM add-on) and taken a second look at several options for Alibre add-ons.

The first was sprutCAM (mentioned in my original posting. I went to their website again, and tried to ask about pricing on two different message pages. Both of them returned errors. And the only phone number anywhere on the website appears to be one in Russia. They do list a US office in Wisconsin, but no phone # ... Something smells mighty fishy here!

My second effort was look at MecSoft. I'd originlly mentioned that their software is $600 and up. But now they're mentioning a free (though limited) version called "Freemill" for Alibre Design. I've sent an inquiry to find out if it also works with Atom.

Thirdly, I've taken Boswell's suggestion and made contct with BobCAD/CAM, just to see if I can get some kind of discount.

I'll post additional information as I receive it. Thanks again to all who responded to my original question.
SprutCAM is distributed by Tormach in Wauankee, WI. Tormach began selling SprutCAM with their machines some time ago. I bought SprutCAM7. They are currently on SprutCAM12. The cost differs depending on whether you want to post to Tormach machines only or the universal post. The basic package is $895 but only posts to Tormach mills and their CNC router. For $1295, you can post to all Tormach machines. For $1795, you get the universal post package.
Edit: the $1795 price is apparently available to Tormach owners. You will have to contact them regarding a full open license. AQlso, it appears that the $895 version no longer supports 4 th axis machining.

Last edited:
I have used SprutCAM 7 for the past eight years. It has a few quirks, mostly in the CAM setup part. I expect that there have been considerable improvements over the past five versions.

SprutCAM updates about once a year. There is a cost to the updates, around $500 -$600. If you skip several updates, you have to pay full purchase price again. Since I use it only for personal purposes, I haven't updated. Edit: looking at their website, I don't see anything about updating at a discounted price.

Last edited:
i'm sticking with fusion until the end of the free program. I hope the new EDA integration will get even better. as it is now the new EDA functionality is pretty good. CAD/CAM are outstanding and Simulation/FEA is still free AFAIK.

Last edited:
Quick update regarding Sprutcam (in case anybody is interested in it) ... I got a quote back from them today. Here's the annual cost:

SprutCAM Expert: $3,395
Maintenance: $850 (optional)
Total: $4,245.00

This is higher than Bruce and RJ mentioned in posts above, but that may be because I'm not a Tormach user. Note that the link supplied on the Alibre website, sprutcam.com, leads to pretty much a dead end. The website to use is sprutcamamerica.com

Fusion360 is free for students, educators, and makers at this point. I think that is awesome for those of us that just like to fart around in the home shop and need good quality software to minimize cost and machine crashes.

I'm more comfortable with AutoDesk products because I have used Inventor at the last 2 companies. This is smart of Autodesk to provide free of charge software because the young people of today will be the business decision makers of tomorrow.

I started using Fusion360, but they seem to be creeping towards charging for it for hobby use. Plus, I really don't like all my files in the "cloud".

So, I recently switched to FreeCAD. It has some issues and limitations, but I'd rather deal with them now than have to convert all my files in the future.

Quick update regarding Sprutcam (in case anybody is interested in it) ... I got a quote back from them today. Here's the annual cost:

SprutCAM Expert: $3,395
Maintenance: $850 (optional)
Total: $4,245.00

This is higher than Bruce and RJ mentioned in posts above, but that may be because I'm not a Tormach user. Note that the link supplied on the Alibre website, sprutcam.com, leads to pretty much a dead end. The website to use is sprutcamamerica.com

I believe the maintenance fee for SprutCAM is the annual subscription fee. You only pay the $3395 one time. However, if you miss paying the maintenance fee for (used to be) two years, you have to pay the full fee again.

I say that looking from the Tormach owner's viewpoint though.

CAD and CAM software in general start out a a fairly reasonable cost but as it galns users, the costs start to rise dramaticalkly. If you are a medium to large engineering or machining user, the costs are fairly easily amortized but for small users, startup companies, and hobbyists, the costs are prohibitive. These companies fail to understand that these small users will be tomorrow's big users and brand loyalty is strong. Autodesk seemed to grasp that with Fusion and they came out with a reasonable pricing structure but that may change too. My belief is that thwey were concerned with losing Market share to competition and Fusion was their response. When thery first introduced Fusion, I asked their reps point blank if they had any intention of changing their pricing structure and received an emphatic, "NO". We shall see.

I really like Fusion. I hope y'all are wrong that the free license is going away. I sure hope they don't pull a 'Photobucket'!
Robert

Back