Looking for a vise

freeidaho

Active User
Registered
Howdy,
I'd really like to have a 6" quality CNC vise that fits the Tormach 1100 table can has t-slot alignment keys in the x and y directions. Maybe even a 5".

Unless one is going to co-align two vises, it seems to me that putting the long dimension of the vise in the x direction would be great. It allows a left front zero zero point.

Thank you ! ! !

kr

Howdy,
I'd really like to have a 6" quality CNC vise that fits the Tormach 1100 table can has t-slot alignment keys in the x and y directions. Maybe even a 5".

Unless one is going to co-align two vises, it seems to me that putting the long dimension of the vise in the x direction would be great. It allows a left front zero zero point.

Thank you ! ! !

kr

The D688 Kurts have T-slot alignment key slots in the X and Y. Not sure if it is CNC enough for you.

P1260017_zps878db5e7.jpg

Damn, I was hoping you were needing a 12" shaper vise :))

Randy

As you can see in the picture, even my >25 year old Kurt D50 vise (5") has slots in both directions, which align to better than 0.001". I think this is standard as well on all of their D-series 6" vises.

utubeqet.jpg

Tom

Thanks guys,
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I have need for a vise I thought was called a CNC vise. Isn't that the term for a vise that is squared up on all sides? Like the left hand picture in bloomingtonmike's post.

I really like the Glacern 6", but it only registers one direction.

Thanks,

kr

I believe the name for the vise you want is a toolmakers vise or screwless vise there are a few styles but can all be clamped down in different positions, they will also mount to an swivel or sine plate
steve

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Great point, kr. Sorry I overlooked that part.

You're right, the left-hand vise (a Kurt VersatileLock V3600) in bloomingtonmike's picture looks like what people call a CNC vise. But just like the Glacern it doesn't have a length-wise registration slot.

One vise I know of that does is the Kurt PT series. It is a very high-precision vise with its "pull-type" (PT) mechanism and is ground on all sides. It also has registration slots in both directions (see the pictures in http://www.kurtworkholding.com/hydraulic-pull-type-vise-p-1152-l-en.html). The only downside is that it's quite expensive, even used on eBay.

One thought and one question. The thought is that you could always use an indexing plate and mount your vise sideways on the plate. It's more expensive than just a vise but may be cheaper than buying more vise than you need just because of the slots.

The question is, why do you even need a CNC-style vise? As I gather (and I don't have a CNC, so other please chime in :) ), one purpose of the ground sides of CNC vises is that they can be mounted right next to each other so you can run more parts before you have to do a changeover. But I don't know if that is relevant for you. The other reason people use CNC vises is for automated closing and opening action. If that's something you want, those are available as kits for regular machining vises as well.

Tom

Steve,
Nope, that isn't it either. Sorry, I should have posted a picture in the first place. They are pretty much a standard vise, but they can be turned on their side. This one is what Glacern calls their GPV-615 Premium Vise, http://www.glacern.com/gpv_615 . I would gladly buy this vise but it does not have registration in both directions.

gpv_03.jpg

Thanks for your help,

kr

gpv_03.jpg

I would just Google "cnc vice" I think you'll find a few mfg's who make the square on all sides quite similar to Kurt. I believe Kurt also makes those vices. If you go to the Kurt website you'll probably be able to spend all the money you want in 4", 5", etc. All of those type are not inexpensive.
dickr

that's a nice vise, I'd like to have that.
steve

Back