Looking for a steady rest

ycroosh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a steady rest for a Rockwell/Delta 11" metal lathe. I'm not too picky about the condition as long as the cast iron parts are not cracked or damanged.
Thank you in advance
Yuriy

I don't think that there were ever a lot of those lathes out there. That might be a tuff one to find.
My Clausing came with a steady rest and it turned out to not fit my lathe. The bottom was easily modified to work with my machine.

Yeah, I know. Modifying a more common steady rest is my "plan B". I just need to find one that has enough meat to be modifiable.

Shootymacshootface is spot on.
Also, depending on your time, skills, machines and finances, you might find it easiest to build from scratch.
Lots of options out there for shop built steadys.

Daryl
MN

Hi folks,
I'm looking for a steady rest for a Rockwell/Delta 11" metal lathe. I'm not too picky about the condition as long as the cast iron parts are not cracked or damanged.
Thank you in advance
Yuriy
Is this the one you need Disregard this post this is not the correct TS

Attachments

• 00808_2Mme8YzyvbZz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00808_2Mme8YzyvbZz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Occasionally I find one for my Craftsman (Atlas) 12X36. But when I do, it seems they are made of silver. Or the seller is real proud of what they have. I'm not willing to pay what they want. It probably isn't too high, but more than I'm willing to pay. I have a small Grizzly, 9X19 Taiwanese, that has a steady. I've "cobbled" an adapter for my 12 inch. It isn't right, but has held up enouh for what I've asked of it. All I can say is "Good Luck". Or build one. . .

Shootymacshootface is spot on.
Also, depending on your time, skills, machines and finances, you might find it easiest to build from scratch.
Lots of options out there for shop built steadys.

Daryl
MN
Good to see you posting again Daryl!!

You and Bill may have the ability to make such a device. To many of us, It's a daunting task.
I was fortunate to find one for my lathe for $350 which I thought was fair (Clausing Colchester 15X50)

Hey ycroosh, did seasicksteve find one for you??

Fortunately there are a decent supply of 'unknown' steady rests floating around the internet, you can often find someone who doesn't know what they have. More interestingly, you can often find a 'better' one and adapt it!

For example, I did the latter a few years ago: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/adapting-a-large-steady-rest-to-my-lathe.81411/

In my case, I have a pretty rare lathe, and the steady for it is actually pretty terribly small! I found one on ebay for a similar sized lathe, milled the base off, and put a new one on that set the height right and got me back on center!

I've used it a few times to great effect.

Fortunately there are a decent supply of 'unknown' steady rests floating around the internet, you can often find someone who doesn't know what they have. More interestingly, you can often find a 'better' one and adapt it!
That is so true! I would love to upgrade to a nice heavy duty telescoping steadyrest.

Luckily, a rest is not a precision piece and can easily be made from scratch (on the lathe) and used to good effect. I have a ghetto steady rest made from who knows what that came with my lathe, and it works great so I have no reason to build another. It'll last me until I find a bigger lathe, anyway.

Back