Looking for a follower rest

The moment arm from the mount bolts in the saddle looks quite long to be strong, especially with aluminum. Remember the force will be pulling up on the end of your horizontal piece. Is there some place to attach it on the left side of the saddle, more in line with where it will ride on the shaft? Just my thoughts.
Aaron

Simple plan? Not that I've seen.

I have been watching for a follower for my Sheldon for several years now with no luck....I literally check eBay every single day as well as several of the used machinery dealers probably every other day.

I considered modifying one from another machine but that has drawbacks. For one, most are cast iron so if you need to make it taller/shorter, move it with some sort of offset plate, etc, you're stuck with drill/tap/bolt connections and there isn't much space for large bolts on a follower that size. Brazing extensions on is a possibility for some folks I guess. I just can't imagine spending $150, putting a bunch of time into it and still wind up with a Frankenstein part that isn't really right.

I've needed one enough times that I've started to make one and it's fairly involved. I've got quite a few hours into it....a lot of it just measuring and trying to come up with a plan. The only advantage I can see is that it's going to probably have a larger capacity than the factory follower and I suspect the fingers will be closer to the tool. The originals were meant to line up with a traditional lantern tool post and a QCTP pushes the tool quite a bit closer to the headstock.

I'm using bolts to get everything line up and when it's done and I'm confident things line up I'll TIG weld the sections together. It's still a work in progress, and there are things I need to clean up eventually. Where the horizontal plate meets the front of the vertical plate doesn't match...neither my bandsaw or cutoff saw could handle that angle so I did it with an angle grinder...need to blend it or it'll bother me forever!

It'll still be a Frankenstein, but at a fraction of the cost.

View attachment 442757View attachment 442756View attachment 442758
I had the same problem trying to use the follow-rest on my 10" South Bend. I wound up flipping the tool to the right side of the tool post by, setting the compound slide 90º to the cross slide, rotating the QC tool post 90º clockwise and flipping the cutting tool in the QC tool holder. Using the compound I could adjust right were I need the tool to cut. It worked just fine, wish I took a picture, though...

The moment arm from the mount bolts in the saddle looks quite long to be strong, especially with aluminum. Remember the force will be pulling up on the end of your horizontal piece. Is there some place to attach it on the left side of the saddle, more in line with where it will ride on the shaft? Just my thoughts.
Aaron
Aaron,

Good thoughts to be sure and I agree. The isn't anywhere to attach on the left side as it stands. I could drill and tap new holes on the left side, but I figured I would try the original holes first. It's probably silly but for some reason I just hesitate to start drilling holes in a vintage machine! So far when I apply pressure (as much as I can by hand) I don't notice any movement. If it doesn't work I can always start over and add holes on the left side. I figured it was worth a shot, and is all good practice for me!

I had the same problem trying to use the follow-rest on my 10" South Bend. I wound up flipping the tool to the right side of the tool post by, setting the compound slide 90º to the cross slide, rotating the QC tool post 90º clockwise and flipping the cutting tool in the QC tool holder. Using the compound I could adjust right were I need the tool to cut. It worked just fine, wish I took a picture, though...
That makes total sense and is a great idea! I started this project when I was considering making a long screw where I would definitely need the follow rest, so having the compound at 90° wouldn't be ideal...not the end of the world though.

This has gotten me thinking that I'm surprised the issue hasn't come up more often now that so many older machines have QCTPs on them.

That makes total sense and is a great idea! I started this project when I was considering making a long screw where I would definitely need the follow rest, so having the compound at 90° wouldn't be ideal...not the end of the world though.

This has gotten me thinking that I'm surprised the issue hasn't come up more often now that so many older machines have QCTPs on them.
Thanks,

I'm sure you could set the compound at 29º for threading. I only set it at 90º as I wasn't threading and wanted it out of the way to get some extra adjustment.

One drawback I see with this arrangement, you are somewhat limited on how close you can work to the chuck.

Next time I need to use the follow, I'll be sure to take some pictures and post a thread on this technique.

Back