Looking for a follower rest

Tincamp67

Registered
Registered
I have an old SB 9C and am in need of a follower rest. I’m hoping someone on here has one they don’t use and can part with for a reasonable price, before I resort to the dreaded eBay. It appears that it would bolt to the tail stock side of my carriage and hang back over the carriage toward the headstock. I can take pics if that would help narrow down the exact one. I’m sure there were several different ones made. Let me know what you’ve got.

THANKS.

Looking at an old SB catalog for the 9" you need # CL2395N for the follow rest and # CL2400N for the steady rest.

If the last letter is a K then they are for the light 10K lathe.

And yes they mounted on the right side of the saddle. They were cast with an offset so that the support was closer to tool but yet stayed out of the way on the headstock side.

I checked with Grizzly and the dimensions for the new lathes are not the same as the old ones. If you can't find one to buy, there is always the option of making something to bolt onto the saddle.

I may be forced into doing that for the 10K if one doesn't fall into my lap sometime soon. It will be good practice for making a steady rest.

Appreciate the info. I have a steady rest that came with the lathe. Saw the original owner today, and although he thought he had a follower rest, he believes it was ruined when his basement flooded several years ago. Likely tossed as scrap. I’m hopeful that someone out there will have an extra, as these are pretty common lathes, at least in my area.

Ouch, that’s about double what I expected. Am I out of touch, or are they getting scarce?

Ouch, that’s about double what I expected. Am I out of touch, or are they getting scarce?
I wouldn't say scarce, but there is some demand for them. I just looked at eBay sold prices and they're averaging right around $250-300 plus shipping. The odd deals for $100-150 are usually when people don't know what they have.

At that price, I may just try to make something, or keep looking for a rusty, dusty one in a junk shop somewhere. I’ve run in to a few situations where it would be handy, but I don’t know if it would be that handy.

I was going to post a similar question. I need a follower rest for my 1957 10k. I'm also not planning to spend $250+. Is there a simple plan to make one "good enough" anywhere?
Has anyone adapted this one to fit? https://www.grizzly.com/products/south-bend-follow-rest-for-10k-lathe/sb1451?adlclid=47fa956dda6715ecc90ff14e66f05add&msclkid=47fa956dda6715ecc90ff14e66f05add&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[ADL] [PLA] [Shopping] - {Manufacturer} - Desktop&utm_term=4585994280713478&utm_content={Manufacturer}
Simple plan? Not that I've seen.

I have been watching for a follower for my Sheldon for several years now with no luck....I literally check eBay every single day as well as several of the used machinery dealers probably every other day.

I considered modifying one from another machine but that has drawbacks. For one, most are cast iron so if you need to make it taller/shorter, move it with some sort of offset plate, etc, you're stuck with drill/tap/bolt connections and there isn't much space for large bolts on a follower that size. Brazing extensions on is a possibility for some folks I guess. I just can't imagine spending $150, putting a bunch of time into it and still wind up with a Frankenstein part that isn't really right.

I've needed one enough times that I've started to make one and it's fairly involved. I've got quite a few hours into it....a lot of it just measuring and trying to come up with a plan. The only advantage I can see is that it's going to probably have a larger capacity than the factory follower and I suspect the fingers will be closer to the tool. The originals were meant to line up with a traditional lantern tool post and a QCTP pushes the tool quite a bit closer to the headstock.

I'm using bolts to get everything line up and when it's done and I'm confident things line up I'll TIG weld the sections together. It's still a work in progress, and there are things I need to clean up eventually. Where the horizontal plate meets the front of the vertical plate doesn't match...neither my bandsaw or cutoff saw could handle that angle so I did it with an angle grinder...need to blend it or it'll bother me forever!

It'll still be a Frankenstein, but at a fraction of the cost.

IMG_3685.JPGIMG_3684.JPGIMG_3686.JPG

Simple plan? Not that I've seen.

I have been watching for a follower for my Sheldon for several years now with no luck....I literally check eBay every single day as well as several of the used machinery dealers probably every other day.

I considered modifying one from another machine but that has drawbacks. For one, most are cast iron so if you need to make it taller/shorter, move it with some sort of offset plate, etc, you're stuck with drill/tap/bolt connections and there isn't much space for large bolts on a follower that size. Brazing extensions on is a possibility for some folks I guess. I just can't imagine spending $150, putting a bunch of time into it and still wind up with a Frankenstein part that isn't really right.

I've needed one enough times that I've started to make one and it's fairly involved. I've got quite a few hours into it....a lot of it just measuring and trying to come up with a plan. The only advantage I can see is that it's going to probably have a larger capacity than the factory follower and I suspect the fingers will be closer to the tool. The originals were meant to line up with a traditional lantern tool post and a QCTP pushes the tool quite a bit closer to the headstock.

I'm using bolts to get everything line up and when it's done and I'm confident things line up I'll TIG weld the sections together. It's still a work in progress, and there are things I need to clean up eventually. Where the horizontal plate meets the front of the vertical plate doesn't match...neither my bandsaw or cutoff saw could handle that angle so I did it with an angle grinder...need to blend it or it'll bother me forever!

It'll still be a Frankenstein, but at a fraction of the cost.

View attachment 442757View attachment 442756View attachment 442758

what you’ve got so far looks good!
I‘m not surprised it’s a very involved process. I’m still a beginner, so not something I’m up for unless there was a plan I could follow. Thanks

Back