Looking for a decent MT3 reamer

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can someone recommend a source for a decent (enough) MT3 reamer? Been looking at some of my tailstock accessories and the male tapers have a lot of dings in them, but I haven't mishandled them. Some of the dings seem to be newer, so I suspect the taper socket in the tailstock. I think the socket has some burs in it and would like to clean it up.

I'm hoping that the burs aren't standing proud too much, since I don't want to mess up the taper by going too deep. Sticking a finger in the taper socket, I really can't feel anything bad on the inner surface.

There are some plastic taper 'cleaners' that might help you sort thing out - at least figuring out if you have a burr. I picked up an inexpensive (import) MT2 reamer and it's been fine. If all you want to do is clean up an existing taper, you can probably get by with the cheapest of reamers. Go light and you really shouldn't be enlarging your tailstock - just knocking the burrs off. If you get to the point where the reamer is cutting on its full diameter - STOP! If the problem is really a burr, I expect you'll feel it as you start to ream, and you can stop as soon as you don't feel it.

GsT

I bought a MT2 and a MT3 reamer from a Ukrainian seller (before the current situation) on ebay. They weren't cheap cheap, but they weren't retail. My taper bores were a bit hard, but a skim off of each made a huge difference in holding power. So even if you don't dig material out, just a touch will freshen a worn taper bore good as new.

I'm a bit reluctant to source much from A*, they allegedly have a MT3 reamer set from "HSS". I'll look some more. It only has 3 star rating, but who knows what that means. Between fake reviews or inept users, their reviews are hard to assess properly. I'll troll eBay for a bit.

I bought a MT2 and a MT3 reamer from a Ukrainian seller (before the current situation) on ebay. They weren't cheap cheap, but they weren't retail. My taper bores were a bit hard, but a skim off of each made a huge difference in holding power. So even if you don't dig material out, just a touch will freshen a worn taper bore good as new.
By any chance was this by the seller pilotbv?
He has a couple sets left. I'd buy them, if for no other reason than to help him out.

It was 5 years ago, anatolivich757 was the seller. They were nice Soviet tools, look a little cleaner than what is up now. Of course that shouldn't matter, the grind matters and the steel matters. Been in the drawer for a while, but paid for themselves the first time.

It was 5 years ago, anatolivich757 was the seller. They were nice Soviet tools, look a little cleaner than what is up now. Of course that shouldn't matter, the grind matters and the steel matters. Been in the drawer for a while, but paid for themselves the first time.
Thanks for the quick response. It appears the seller is no longer on eBay. Won't speculate on that, there's lots of reasons and sellers come and go. Well, think I'll chance it. Hope they arrive by the end of January.

I have a Millersburg MT reamer set 1-5 if you wish to borrow the #3.

I have a Millersburg MT reamer set 1-5 if you wish to borrow the #3.
That's an offer I can't refuse. I don't think I need an aggressive cut, just something to clean up the socket.

Back