LOOKING FOR A bigger lathe

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
So I started out with a Grizzly 4x6 micro lathe early this yr and been having fun, also made a few $$$ selling small model parts to diffrent model guys, but am finding out am needing more power for certain projects also a lathe that can use bigger and more accessible tooling . thierfor am looking around for 7X10 /7X14 bench top type machine. it can be asian or U.S. just as long as its dependable and comes with some usable tooling. send PM if ya have anything , Im 35 miles south of seattle.

Last edited:
2X on a full size home shop lathe. I have a 12x36 craftsman lathe and wouldn't want anything smaller except as a second lathe. The real deciding factor is 1) what do you want to make with your lathe? And 2) how much room do you have? Budget also rears its ugly head when looking for a bigger lathe. Then you have the new verses used debate.

Lots to think about with no easy answers.

Totally agree on bigger.
I went from a 7x14 to a South Bend 10K.
Wouldn’t have anything smaller.

I went from a 1228 to a 1340, are you starting to see a pattern :grin:

well guys as far as size goes am definitley not looking to go crazy for anything over 7x14 and wont be turning anything but 6061 round stock up too 1.5 which the 4x6 cannot handle.

am looking for more power than this whimpy 4x6 which worked great for the small stuff I was doing. also something that has a threading capability. needing to hold the cost down under $1000 and have room for about 7x14, so like I said not looking for anything extravagant just something to get me by to play with now/then, am also seeing more tool options, the 4x6 has been great and a excellent machine to get the basics on but needing to move up.

Last edited:
I was able to do everything I needed on a 10”x 36” Logan. I went bigger for power and weight, as working with steel was pretty painful, cutting stock down 0.020“ at a time. Parting was scary, too.

The Takisawa solved both those problems and can spray smoking hot chips at an amazing rate, and can power feed an Aloris parting tool through a 3” steel round, makes it look easy.

Now, anything less than a couple thousand pound lathe is too small. That is what this hobby can do to a guy.

Your budget is seriously limiting, is that the only limitation or is space also a concern?

I would consider a 9” swing as minimum but it really comes down to what you’re working on. Is precision a requirement? If so you may be well served holding out for an older American, European or Taiwanese model rather than China built.

Lots of good advice on here but the best is probably to be patient. Put your money in a jar and add to it every week. You have a lathe already so don’t settle for something that won’t serve you for a long time.

John

My SB Heavy 10 is just a little small, 12 to 14 inches would be all I'd ever need.

Back