Looking for 18-ish Inch Camelback Straight Edge

Great, glad you were able to get out! Every time I'm there I end up chatting for hours.

The tool and cutter grinder (The Quorn) is SUPER cool, and I'm shocked he has such a hard time selling the kits.

Grabbing a couple of his squares to machine is ALSO on my list, but I'll probably do one of those cool engine kits he has first.
I'd buy the Quorn if I thought I could complete it. At this point in time, I think it requires a far higher skill set than I have. Not selling myself short, but trying to be realistic.

I did buy a couple of flywheels, to see if I could make a gyroscope. We'll see how that goes. I'm not even sure how to hold these wheels, haven't done anything like it before. Looks like the spokes will require a bit of work.

I'd buy the Quorn if I thought I could complete it. At this point in time, I think it requires a far higher skill set than I have. Not selling myself short, but trying to be realistic.

I did buy a couple of flywheels, to see if I could make a gyroscope. We'll see how that goes. I'm not even sure how to hold these wheels, haven't done anything like it before. Looks like the spokes will require a bit of work.
FWIW, picking up a project where you're in over your head is a GREAT way to get better. I've intentionally picked a few that I feel like I had no shot at, simply to 'level up'. As for the Quron: I mentioned in another thread, he's basically got 2-3 complete kits left now, and isn't going to make another.

If you WANT to make one, I'd suggest buying it, even if it sits in a closet until you feel more comfortable. Worst case, I'm sure you can get your money back in a few years to someone who really wants to make one.

For flywheels, there are 2 schools of thought after fettling, both 2 setups.
Technique 1 (better for smaller lathes/chucks):
Setup 1: Grip the flywheel by the 'inside' of the flywheel with jaws going 'out', so you're gripping it between the spokes. Turn the 'inner' features and OD here.
Setup 2: Flip it around, grabbing either by the OD, or by the 'inside' again, and turn the 'inner' features on this side.

Technique 2: (better for larger lathes/chucks):
Setup 1: Grab it by the OD (likely in a 4 jaw!), and turn the 'inner' features on that side.

Setup 2: Using EITHER an arbor through the bore, or holding by the boss, turn it around and turn the inner-features + OD.

FWIW, picking up a project where you're in over your head is a GREAT way to get better. I've intentionally picked a few that I feel like I had no shot at, simply to 'level up'. As for the Quron: I mentioned in another thread, he's basically got 2-3 complete kits left now, and isn't going to make another.

If you WANT to make one, I'd suggest buying it, even if it sits in a closet until you feel more comfortable. Worst case, I'm sure you can get your money back in a few years to someone who really wants to make one.

For flywheels, there are 2 schools of thought after fettling, both 2 setups.
Technique 1 (better for smaller lathes/chucks):
Setup 1: Grip the flywheel by the 'inside' of the flywheel with jaws going 'out', so you're gripping it between the spokes. Turn the 'inner' features and OD here.
Setup 2: Flip it around, grabbing either by the OD, or by the 'inside' again, and turn the 'inner' features on this side.

Technique 2: (better for larger lathes/chucks):
Setup 1: Grab it by the OD (likely in a 4 jaw!), and turn the 'inner' features on that side.

Setup 2: Using EITHER an arbor through the bore, or holding by the boss, turn it around and turn the inner-features + OD.
I understand that one needs to push oneself to get better. I'm on the fence. Really over one's ability is no good, but pushing some is ok. Having not done machining except later in life means that things that are obvious what to do (for others) isn't obvious for me. However, eventually I catch on.

Having spare parts is a good thing, especially in the beginning. I'd hate to blow a part and find the piece is not available anymore.

I understand that one needs to push oneself to get better. I'm on the fence. Really over one's ability is no good, but pushing some is ok. Having not done machining except later in life means that things that are obvious what to do (for others) isn't obvious for me. However, eventually I catch on.

Having spare parts is a good thing, especially in the beginning. I'd hate to blow a part and find the piece is not available anymore.
Casting kits really are all about figuring out your workholding. Otherwise, they are pretty common machine operations. You end up being best by making some jigs for work holding whenever possible. That said, once you get through machining all the castings, its all just normal stuff :) I WILL say looking at the Quorn kit, you have 2 things going for you:
-If you mess it up and Gary doesnt have the castings, you can buy from Hemmingway (though at a significant increase in price!). Also, most of the parts look easy enough to make from bar/flat stock if absolutely necessary.
-The Quron kit seems like it is mostly just "put in mill and drill/ream" for many of the parts. I suspect it isn't a particularly hard kit to do, compared to some others. They seem to be a lot of "drill, then use a slitting saw".

Worst case, ask here, there are a number of folks who are pretty great at work holding!

Back