Looked at a Sheldon lathe today

Joe0121

Active User
Registered
Went to a place in town that deal with used machine equipment. I looked at this machine: http://www.industrialmachinery.com/...e=product_info&cPath=824_820&products_id=7840

there is no price on their website. They wanted 3400 for it to me that seems a bit high especially since there isnt much in the way of tooling a couple dead centers and a 3 and 4 jaw chuck. At some point the compound had been ran into the chuck. The way looked meh to me the oil on them felt gritty. Are these old machines really going for this much money?

It looks good with that fresh coat of paint, but for 3400$ you could get a brand new import. I would keep looking.
Jake Parker

It looks good with that fresh coat of paint, but for 3400$ you could get a brand new import. I would keep looking.
Jake Parker
I was thinking the same thing. I offered the guy 1200. He tried to get me to lease it. I'll just keep looking :(

Without tooling $1200.00 max. There are plenty of used machines at much better prices with tooling, new paint isn't going to make the lathe work any better, in fact I would rather see worn original paint.

Without tooling $1200.00 max. There are plenty of used machines at much better prices with tooling, new paint isn't going to make the lathe work any better, in fact I would rather see worn original paint.

Yeah the new paint actually worries me quite a bit. Supposedly it came from an old mans shop. It is however exactly the type lathe I want but for that money I'd by a pristine Southbend with VFD. Most of the lathes near me are 9" or monster 16" I really prefer the pedestal type I don't like the machine where the electric motor sits on top or to the rear with exposed belts. Meh ahwell I know the second I would buy something like this my dream Southbend or Hardinge would pop up an an auction somewhere.

Sent the guy this e-mail. Well see what he says

Paul,

I am writing you a quick note in regards to the Sheldon Lathe stock number 11067. I did some research online and believe $1200 is a fair price assuming the lathe will come with a quick change tool post. I realize this is 1/3 the price you are asking but I believe it to be more in line. Here is an example of a larger machine that came with a good deal more tooling that sold for $999.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-...6346&clkid=6594601544516866663&_qi=RTM1562571

You very well may get your asking price or close to it and I don’t intend to “Low ball” you I just wanted to drop you a note and mostly thank you for taking the time to show me and my co-worker around your shop. I really enjoyed seeing some of those big pieces of equipment and the conversation. Regardless of whether you choose to reduce the price or not I had an enjoyable experience and I hope to have not wasted too much of your time. Sorry to e-mail you but we are moving our office and have been dealing with contractors all day and have been tied up.

Please feel free to keep my contact info and if you run across another old manual machine similar to the Sheldon (Quick change gear box, thread chasing dial, 1 3/8 or larger through Bore) I’d be more than happy to look at it.

I talked to Paul about that lathe a few days ago. He told me $3000 but that he would let me have it for $2500. His description of the condition of the ways was somewhat more ...generous....than yours. If it were closer to home, or about $1000 cheaper I probably would have gone and had a look. Sure looks pretty in the pictures though.

I talked to Paul about that lathe a few days ago. He told me $3000 but that he would let me have it for $2500. His description of the condition of the ways was somewhat more ...generous....than yours. If it were closer to home, or about $1000 cheaper I probably would have gone and had a look. Sure looks pretty in the pictures though.
Thanks for the info I doubt he'd come down on price.

Back