Long nose live center

What principle are you referring to? Just curious.

Not here to argue a point :) Just thinking I'd rather use the correct format rather than an adapter if I can avoid it. That said, I do have an extended nose MT2 live center that I had bought for a smaller metal lathe which I didn't keep.

Their is cumulative error of each part in a chain, and there are other issues like separating the adapter. Make sure the adapter is tanged, otherwise it can get jammed in the tailstock. I use a MT2 to MT3 adapter for me smaller MT2 drills in the tailstock, they have a small side window for a wedge to pop out the MT2 drill. It may take some time to break in, but that it got so hot means it is still very tight. There also might be other options like turning down a portion of the end of you rod to dimension, then sliding a metal cap on the end that will be used up against the center or some other form of interface. The Skoda I have has interchangeable tips so sometimes I will use a flat other times the small point.

I might go for an adapter. The one I use for my steb center is well wedged on, but I don't need to remove it. Maybe the Skoda will loosen up but I'm not hopeful.

Some picture of the lathe and material failure might help.
Also specs for material, like hardness etc.
Also info on tooling used, length of cut, etc. will help.
Maybe a follow rest might help ?

Last edited:
Their is cumulative error of each part in a chain,
Not always, think of Jo gauge blocks.
My only point is that MT adapter sleeves are in common use and we can have 100% confidence in them when they are made right. But as already mentioned removing the sleeve when finished can be difficult, like separating Jo gauge blocks, Avoiding the use of a sleeve is mostly a matter of convenience.

Gage blocks have errors! The reason you always use the fewest possible is to have the least error possible. There is no such thing as "perfect!"

I ordered an adapter. The MT2 extended nose I have spins freely, so I'll try that. Just tried the Skoda again by hand this morning after a cold-ish night, and it's even worse. It barely turns at all.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you. If you want to get fancy, index the adapter sleeve so that the error in the sleeve cancels the error in the receiver socket :)

Back