Long "5C" Collets

wfournier

Registered
Registered
I picked up a Clausing 5448 lathe with a collet closer and got an assortment of collets along with it. As the machine takes 5C collets I figured that was what they were. Well I was going through them cleaning them up removing rust etc and I noticed one was shorter than the others. I figured that was the "weird" one but when checking the dimensions for 5C collets I determined that one was normal and the others were longer than 5C collets. What I found was that the "short" collet is the standard length for 5C collets which the others were longer, the dimension that is normally 3.27in was more like 3 7/8th's. Any thoughts on what these are?

An example is the collets that fit my Regal LeBlond lathe, they are roughly the same diameter as a 5C, but they are considerably longer, marked 6L, the "L" standing for LeBlond, I was told.

Looking at your pictures, I really can't tell what collet they are.
Not sure if he is allowed to post pictures yet. His post count is only 8.

Took a couple pictures, one showing the only markings I can find on the long ones and the size vs the 5C.

Attachments

• 20220907_203507.jpg
    20220907_203507.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220907_203651.jpg
    20220907_203651.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 24
Took a couple pictures, one showing the only markings I can find on the long ones and the size vs the 5C.

Hard to tell from the photos, except for the length difference(s), are the diameters the same as 5C collets?

They look to have a slightly different tapers on the end.

Back