Logan crossfeed dial acting...weird

So, I adjusted the nuts on the crossfeed handle, it needed a little, but not much. What I did do that seems to have fixed the problem is to tighten the gibs on the compound so it can't move. That seems to have solved the issue. One of the biggest frustrations with these old lathes is getting the gibs adjusted. They all seem to be worn enough to make it challenging. Thanks for everyone's help!

Glad to hear you fixed the problem. That's a nice looking lathe you have: is it a 12" swing?

I don't recall any lathe where you dial in 10 thou and only take off 5, but I could be mistaken.
My Clausing Colchester 15 as this style of engagement.
If I dial in .010" the carriage moves .005" for .010" removal off the part.
Makes things easy for my simple mind.

Nice lathe Dave.

My Clausing Colchester 15 as this style of engagement.
If I dial in .010" the carriage moves .005" for .010" removal off the part.
Makes things easy for my simple mind.

Nice lathe Dave.

My lathe does the opposite (dial shows how much the carriage moves), and I tend to find it a bit annoying. I get that it shows DOC, but it is the only axis on any of my machines where "reading on dial" != "how much the part shrinks".

Last edited:
My lathe does the opposite (dial shows how much the carriage moves), and I tend to find it a bit annoying. I get that it shows DOC, but it is the only axis on any of my machines where "reading on dial" == "how much the part shrinks".
Wouldn’t it be reading on dial = 1/2 what part shrinks if it is indicating DOC?

Erich, I think that you thought that != meant not equal to. AFAIK, in general, it does not. Although there might be some programming language that I'm not familiar with where it does. The only single character that does that I know of have that meaning is the single character where the / symbol is written over the = symbol. Unfortunately, the ASCII code set does not contain the single character made from / and =. Which would be spoken as "not equal" or "not equal to". The dBase language would have it as ".NOT." but without the two double-quotes of course.

Anyway, any one who thinks that the cross slide and the compound slide dials should indicate how much the part shrinks is free to set his or her machine up that way. But by far the majority would vehemently disagree.

Erich, I think that you thought that != meant not equal to. AFAIK, in general, it does not. Although there might be some programming language that I'm not familiar with where it does. The only single character that does that I know of have that meaning is the single character where the / symbol is written over the = symbol. Unfortunately, the ASCII code set does not contain the single character made from / and =. Which would be spoken as "not equal" or "not equal to". The dBase language would have it as ".NOT." but without the two double-quotes of course.

Anyway, any one who thinks that the cross slide and the compound slide dials should indicate how much the part shrinks is free to set his or her machine up that way. But by far the majority would vehemently disagree.
Er.... a massive number of programming languages uses != to mean "not equal". Including javascript, C/derivatives, Java. While Haskell uses /=, that is pretty rare in programming languages.

Back