Logan bearings

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I received thw manual and parts document from Logan today...and having bought the ' copies" that are available on E-bay i have to say "KUDOS to Scott logan" for providing a very complete instruction and parts manual for his companies products . i learned that my Model 820 is the first generation of that model. ( 1st range of serial numbers for that 10 " model) the manual is some 82 pages and clearly superior to the E-Bay varients...And half the price also. i spent $25.00 for the manual and then the 12.50 for the hardcopy shipped UPS Ground and i am very pleased with what i got. it contains much more detail than the E-Bay vendors products.

Now I have a question about headstock bearings . I would like to check with industrial suppliers for replacement bearings, but how do i identify them to the supplier ? Can I just give him the Logan part number? or must i bring the old bearing to the supplier? i will likely order them from logan Actuator so I know I have the right parts but the front & rear will cost about $300.00 for the set , what with shipping and all so i WOULD like to know if the price is within reason.
If anyone gan guide me i would appreciate it. I have located a Major supplier within 45 minutes of my home but i need to know how to identify what I want to purchase.
thanks
joe

Joe, unless the Logan Manual uses "proper Convention" with the bearing numbers, the industrial supplier will not be able to cross reference. I get this all the time, bearing 1234 on the parts list, yup well 1234 does not tell me anything at all other than the location on the drawing. I know my 9x28 parts breakdown did not have the proper numbers, but the previous owner had pencilled in the numbers on my parts breakdown.

You may need to have the bearing in hand, or at least the dimensions or the markings off the bearing itself to match them at the bearing house.

If you want to post the page of the manual that covers the bearings, I may be able to help further. If you have the bearings removed from the machine look for any number that mey be on there.

also, it may just be the old grease has hardened, you might be able to get away with washing out the old bearing and regreasing it. Never allow the bearing to spin free by blowing compressed air on it when there is no grease in there.

Another thing you might want to do is go through the old posts on the lathe list yahoo group and see what has been mentioned there about that machine and its bearings.

Walter

Thanks Walter,
I expected exactly what you told me.... i will continue the search
Thanks again
Joe

I removed the bearings and located the " New Depatrure" numbers on each one
I contacted an industrial bearring distrubutor and ordered the set which I picked up today.
The price was within my budget so now have a new ste of bearing for my Logan 820 and a new snap ring to boot
Cost $ 105.54
sweet deal......i say !

Questions on 2 replies to Joebiplane.

1. Joebiplane; What were the New Departure part numbers? What were the original bearing numbers and Mfgr. Who did you buy replacements from?

2. Starlight_tools: did you replace the grease in a set of Logan Lathe bearings? What grease is to be used?
How do you proceed to take the spindle apart?

My Logan/Ward lathe exhibits a loud high pitched noise in the headstock when I run it at fastest belt speed. Seems to be coming mostly from the rear of the spindle. Since the machine runs well otherwise I think renewing the bearing grease before I damage them would be a viable way to go.

Thanks,
Aub

Machine spindles use higher than standard class bearings, as a rule. It may be hard to justify for the home shop, but just be aware that there are different grades of bearings and unless you specify, you won't get the higher class (and cost) version.

Blue chips: Did you note the part number stamped on the side of the bearing. My lathe, a Ward model 700A (1941) has 1 bearing in the rear of the spindle and a double bearing in the front (chuck side). That is if I have the correct parts list. I have not yet taken the spindle apart.
That's why I asked for some instructions. It looks like the spindle comes apart by removing the rear collar which looks like it is threaded on. this collar seems held by a grub screw which is broken off in mine.
The front looks like it is held by a pressure plate with 3 screws holding it in place.

Thanks,
Aub

The tapered roller bearings in my import 9 x 20 were replaced with SKF Q7 bearings rated for 8,000 RPM with grease and 12,500 RPM in oil bath, cost $35.00 each.

Most bearings (well quality ones anyway) will have the part number and serial numbers to match the set stamped right on the bearings.

Cheers,
Chazz

Last edited:
The lathe-list Yahoo group is dedicated to Logan lathes, and the group owned and moderated by Scott Logan hisself. There was a spirited discussion there a few years ago about why Scott charged $300 for bearings that cost $100 or less at any old auto parts store. Scott said his were high -precision as original, required to maintain the precision the lathe was built with. Others argued that 1940s high-precision = modern average. I think the discussion ended in a draw, Scott said he would only sell the high-grade bearings.

That's probably true, but the option should be available to each individual to buy premium precision bearings or standard. It is, so if you don't want to put out the money for Scott's bearings and know what to expect, buy from the bearing supply house.

Back