Logan 815 Flat Belt

The question then begs: How do I get the right belt?

First, I can't get a measurement of the belt. The cover has to be lowered to get an accurate measurement, but the cover blocks access to take that measurement! I've been all over the lathe like a spider monkey and I can't find a way to get my meat hooks into the pulley compartment to manipulate a tape measure, let alone read it.

Second, the first thing they ask when I go into any auto parts store is: "What car is this for?" They are not capable of selling belts by width and length. They are not willing to spend hours going through belts with me. They will not let me go back and paw through their stockroom...

A Logan 815 is a Logan 815 is a Logan 815, right? Why are there no specs for belt length anywhere? Something like that isn't a variable.

Well maybe I've answered my own question. I found a parts book online that specs the belt as 1" wide by 39" long. Searching the part number brought up the Logan Actuator website, and they sell replacement belts. I ordered a new belt from them.

It is kind of a no brainier, take the belt and measure it, say it is 45" example. Take it with you to auto zone and get a 450 k6 or what ever. That just happens to be the one i use.

Sounds like you solved the problem. But another way to have done it had you not discovered Logan Actuator is still in business (that has been mentioned so many times on here I never thought to mention it again) would have been to get some 1" wide belt material of say 1/8" or 1/4" thickness. Cut a piece long enough to go around more than half of one of the flat pulleys. Wrap it around the pulley and assemble the overlength belt over it. Close the cover and determine if the belt is now tight enough. If not add a second piece of belt material to the stack. When you are happy with the tension, do some calculations to determine how much the spacer(s) increased the path circumference. And subtract the increase from the known length of the belt that you had.

Well, I'm about done with this lathe. Tired of throwing money at it and having nothing to show for it in the end.

Bought a new factory OEM belt from Logan Actuator. It was ROTTEN out of the package. Tore the lacing right out of it before it even got snug. I have no recourse with Logan. $60 down the toilet.

Last edited:
Why don't you have any recourse? Did the leather fail or the lacing? If you are certain that you were installing it properly, I would call Scott and tell him what happened. If nothing else, it may warn him that some of his stock has passed its usable shelf life.

Back