Heh heh. I tend to be the same way. If a machine originally had a part, I want it to still have the part. Even if it's unlikely I will ever use it (I still have the lantern tool post and full set of holders that originally shipped with my lathe - and haven't used them since about two weeks after buying the lathe). But I will add one thing - the well in top of the headstock originally held the politically incorrect white lead. Which was routinely used on dead centers, before affordable decent live centers became common.

I need a picture of this politically incorrect white lead well. I actually have no clue what white lead looks like? Is it still made?

Well I set the threading dial and hitting the lines worked like a charm. I swear if something is too simple it will fly right by my grasp. Thanks to all of you for setting me
straight.

Great video there Bob. I haven't seen this guy before. Going to subscribe to his channel.
Joe Pie's channel is really educational and straightforward. I learn something from every one of Joe's videos, even if it is on a subject that I think I know inside and out. Very clear explanations and usually hands on demonstrations of techniques that machinists should have in their toolboxes.

Paul B,

I don't have any white lead that I recall (I usually use a live center and the tailstock on the 3996 doesn't have a well and dauber). As best I can recall, the last white lead I saw was actually a very pale gray and about the consistency of decent white gravy. A little thicker than latex paint but not much.

Well I set the threading dial and hitting the lines worked like a charm. I swear if something is too simple it will fly right by my grasp. Thanks to all of you for setting me
straight.

Great video there Bob. I haven't seen this guy before. Going to subscribe to his channel.
He is good. I've watched everything he has put out.

Do any of you guys use a clutch-less Logan or other lathe? I assume any of the 16 points of engagement are fine if I'm not threading.. Also today I actually tightened the bolts holding the half-nut assembly a bit. That seems to have helped as well.

If your threading dial has 16 witness marks on it (and if the halfnuts will engage at each of them), then yes. If not threading any of the marks will do. However, if you infrequently do threading, it might be safer to use only the ones with numbers. In other words, not to let your muscles and subconscious mind get into the habit of engaging at any mark.

Back