Logan 200 Back Gear Lubrication - How To?

I would think that they should be just pressed in. A reamer, unless very sharp, will tend to smear the ID and interfere with the oil flow. I'm sure that if you get them from Logan, they will tell you.

Removing the eccentric bushings will be a little tricky as they are in blind holes. Normally it takes a special puller which used to be called a starter bushing remover or puller. You don't want to have to buy one. If you can't rent or borrow one, there's also a trick that will work in this case where you machine the end a piece of scrap round stock down to the same diameter as the ends of the shaft and about 2-1/2 x the depth of the hole that the Olite bushing is in. Bevel the sharp end slightly. Set the steel bushing on a sturdy bench or the shop floor. Fill it about half way up with SAE 90 gear oil, stick the remover into the Oilite bushing down against the oil and hit the end of the remover smartly with a shop hammer. After you clean the gear oil off of your clothes and glasses, drape a shop rag over the remover and bushing and repeat until the Oilite bushing is backed out.

I have done this trick using grease, a lot less messy.

I always used this method to remove the gearbox layshaft rear bearing cup (it was a straight roller bearing) in Series Land Rover gearboxes back when I used to rebuild them as a hobby business. I tried grease a couple of times but found that it typically took a couple of hits and add more grease to get the air all out so that it would work. As the bearing was down about 10" in the rear of the main housing casting, and the oil was the same as the gearbox was normally filled with, I never really had a splash or squirt problem and didn't have to worry about getting all of the oil out. Plus the bearing location in the rear of a roughly cylindrical hollow casting made it hard to fill the hole with grease but easy to pour in the oil.

But the Logan eccentric steel bushings are small and short. So grease probably wouldn't be as messy.

In the case of the eccentric bushings, probably. In the case of my example, no, definitely not.

Back