LMS Coaxial Centering Indicator- any good?

I would like to get the indicator but I have a Benchmaster verticle mill, so there won't be enough verticle space.
John

Yeah, I think that is the biggest problem with them-they need some serious real-estate on a mill. I personally think one's money is better spent on a good DTI and Indicol setup that can also be used for other purposes as well.

Be aware that no matter who makes the coaxial tools they are delicate and require care and feeding. Fellow H-M forum member Ken_Shea reported the following about his Blake:

Haven't used this unit in well over a year and now it is sticking and not all that free turning. My question is, any of you guys taken one apart for cleaning, oiling then regret it? Could send it back to Blake but not all that excited about dropping half it's worth new just to clean oil.

Thanks ken
Link to complete thread here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/7934-Blake-Coaxial-indicator-question

Since I have one in similar condition I have been digging for information and found following link to a company that sells and services the Blake Coaxial Indicator and what they have to say on the subject of the Blake vs other brands, no bias for sure. :lmao::lmao: http://longislandindicator.com/p5.html

Just make sure that you purchase from someone whos controls the quality of the product they distribute and you purchase. Then take care of it. Keep it clean, fed quality instrument oils, and away from temperature extreme changes. A good "quality controlled" coaxial indicator of any manufacture should serve us hobby machinist well.

The following link is just for information in case your interested about what is inside one of these tools: http://www.blakemanufacturing.com/pages/products_list.php

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

After reading your opinions, I checked Ebay and Enco. The Blakes are made in USA (allegedly) and cost about $300 new. I picked this one up for $152 in supposedly good, used condition. I can use this to center on the drill press or Burke #4 in vertical mode.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321034523669?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I would appreciate any tips you may have on disassembling to check for free movement, and what to do to try to keep it from binding up.

I was tempted by that one, but it looked to me like it was missing most of the feelers. I sent the seller a question four days ago and he never answered. The only feelers I could find were $20 a piece and I think new ones come with eight of them. I guess you could use any rod the right size and bend them to the shape you need.

I hope you enjoy it. Let us know.

Steve Fox
The Blake that Nelson listed is complete. The additional feelers are expensive and the ones for the imports aren't interchangeable. I only have one of the larger feelers for my Blake, and I've never used it. The 2 small ones fit all the parts that I've needed the Blake for. For the rare occasion I have to center something much larger, there are numerous ways to accomplish this, although probably slower.

The Blake that Nelson listed is complete. The additional feelers are expensive and the ones for the imports aren't interchangeable. I only have one of the larger feelers for my Blake, and I've never used it. The 2 small ones fit all the parts that I've needed the Blake for. For the rare occasion I have to center something much larger, there are numerous ways to accomplish this, although probably slower.

Whew! I was worried for a moment. I saw that it had 2 feelers (probes) which compared to the one on Enco's web site. (I checked the Enco site before I bid.) It sells for $299 at Enco. My usual rule of thumb is to pay up to 50% of new for good used. The imports were all around $70 or so.

If I need a longer probe, I will pay the $20.
Meanwhile, it needs cleaned and oiled because it seems all of them can stick if not maintained.

I have bought the imports for students to use and have noticed that the feeler ends will not fit other indicators. I have had my Blake for about 25 years and still working good. I used it many times per week as everything that we made was round. So much nicer than using a mirror or bending your neck around.

You could always build your own with a test indicator from The Machinist "Third" Bedside Reader. Get a little more practice and build yourself a good useful tool in the arsenal. I'm going to wire out some of the rockers for the students to make their own next summer I think.

Back