Live tooling on lathe vs "Y" axis

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm trying to understand what I could do with live tooling as far as cross bore holes and similar features. As well as what additional I could do with "Y" axis and live tooling.

Edited to clarify: A standard CNC lathe with live tooling such as a HAAS ST 10, vs an ST10Y.

My lathe is equipped with live tooling but no Y axis, it is equipped with a C axis. A Y axis would really be nice, but I'm not currently making any parts the require a Y axis.

This part comes out of the lath as seen here, I also make a similar part that is cross drilled with a threaded shank on it. I don't have a picture of that one.

1708642406146.png

Here is an example of a part this just made for a Y axis. We don't make these any longer, too complicated with the required secondary operations in the mill. This was redesigned and now comes out of the lathe as a finished part with no second ops required.

1708642948007.png

I can't see a reason why this would be used unless a mill was not present . :dunno:

I found more pictures, current production

1708643394590.png

Hinge Assembly1708643479486.png

I can't see a reason why this would be used unless a mill was not present . :dunno:
That picture of that discontinued part above is a great example. 1 or 2 parts can be done in the lathe then the mill. But, multiply that by 2000 parts, that's hours of just handling time for the second op. Tying up a machine and an operator.

Yeah Jim . My cnc's had live tooling which I understand , but why on a manual lathe ?

Yeah Jim . My cnc's had live tooling which I understand , but why on a manual lathe ?
@Investigator is inquiring about equipping a CNC lathe. Under most conditions you would not install a Y axis on a manual lathe, but there are a number of combo machines out there.

Ah................I missed that edit , he has the cnc or is looking at buying one . :) Sure , the live tooling is well worth it for production purposes . Plus , it's fun to program . :big grin:

Back