Live centers, do we need them?

jghm

Active User
Registered
My first lathe, a SB 9A is getting back together after a total tear down and cleanup. Being the last time I used a lathe I don't think live centers were invented yet, (30+ years) can someone give me the scoop on them? Are the advantages of a live center worth spending the money on for a newbie hobby machinist type? I see Enco has their USA brand on sale now for $55 before 10% off and free shipping. Anyone have comments on that one? Thanks for any info!
John

Thanks Denny, how technology has progressed. More tooling! :)
John

I had live centers farther back than 30 years ago. Add another decade. Sears used to even sell them for their metal lathe.

My first lathe, a SB 9A is getting back together after a total tear down and cleanup. Being the last time I used a lathe I don't think live centers were invented yet, (30+ years) can someone give me the scoop on them? Are the advantages of a live center worth spending the money on for a newbie hobby machinist type? I see Enco has their USA brand on sale now for $55 before 10% off and free shipping. Anyone have comments on that one? Thanks for any info!
John

Hi John,
I must agree with the crowd...Live centers do make life much more enjoyable. I have a couple of cheap ones, one of which came with a HF lathe and one with a used Atlas. They are fine for the kind of work that I do, (not super precision).
However, if you really want to do the finer work you might want to spend a little more money and get one with better bearings.

As far as the original question goes, no we don't need them. Lathes have been around for literally hundreds of years and live centers only a fraction of that time. If you have used them in the past I am sure that you remember learning to get just the right touch when adjusting the pressure on the dead center, watching for heat and using the special center point grease/oil.
A real pain for a beginner and still a nuisance for an experienced lathe man. Go for the live center if you can.
Jerry

If you plan to buy one, look for one with a long point or a small OD bearing. You will be amazed how often, whatever you are cutting, the live center will be in the way of the the tool or tool post.

Randy

I consider them essential for use in a tailstock. You need higher RPM than most dead centers should be used at, plus you can run them right up fairly tight in the work. Dead centers haven to be lubed, and then they still get warm in use, and warm up the stock, complicating matters.

In live centers, you can gain some room by getting a tracer lathe center. They have a longer tip, with more room between the bearing body and the point. If you insist on dead centers, get a carbide half center.

Anyone need a #7 carbide tipped live center? I haven't found a use for it yet.

Another vote for a live center, and I agree also about getting a slimline one or extended point model to save any problems with clearance like Randy said.

Dave

You guys need to get your facts straight. A live centre is the centre which is mounted in the headstock of the lathe and used to drive stock between centres! They are useful and very easy to make up by sticking stock in a chuck and turning a 60 deg point. Please note, this is just a friendly poke fun at the way english has morphed over the years when saying one thing now means something else)

Now a Ball Bearing Dead Centre is a must have for any lathe when work is being turned that overhangs the chuck more that 1-1/2 x the diameter of the stock. I know, somewhere over the years, something got fouled up in our language and these handy devices started getting called Live Centres.

Every lathe I have had, has always had one of these centres, often more than one. The Logan had a nice little Skoda, extremly well made, and just the cats meow! This would be an idea centre for the SB 9A! They are pricey, but very worth it. I had first bought a Busy Bee import, much like the US Horrible Fright ones and after one use, took it back, felt like it was packed with gravel.

When I upgraded the Logan to the Gosan 1440V, I figured I would just put a MT2 x MT3 sleeve on the Skoda and be done with it. Nope, the saddle is so wide on the Gosan, I ended up having to get a Riten Long Nose with the MT3 shank. Very nice centre, and that long thin point allows tooling to get in.

Then there are the Bull Nose Ball Bearing Centres for large work, and the Spider Bearing centres for holding insides of tubing. And my second favourite Ball Bearing Centre is the Bison 3 Jaw Chuck Bearing Centre. Great for grabbing shafts that do not have or can not have a centre hole.

I even have a few dead centres, and half centres and WHU, but they rarely ever get used as the speed range on them is so low and you are constanly having to lube them or they will burrn up the piece that is being turned from the heat and pressure.

Now if you guys are going to insist on calling them Live Centres, I will not stop you.

Walter

I have never heard them be called a ball bearing dead centre, :headscratch:
They have always been advertised as a live centres over here
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Live-Centres

And the same for pipe centres
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pipe-Centres

John,
I have got a few live centres that I have had many years, but about 3 years ago I bought one of these kits below and find it works good. This way it gives you a variety of centres in one.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Live-Centre-Sets
The first set I received had a large amount of run out so I returned it, but the replacement one checked out fine. Like I said it lets you do a range of Jobs in with the one centre. I think I paid around $60 Australian for it new, but it is only Chinese.

Dave

Walter, what about a dead center in a live tailstock?

Back