Live center options?

pntr

Registered
Registered
Hello again SB fans.....first, in my previous posts, thank you so much for all your invaluable input. HUGELY appreciated. So, does anyone know of the correct terminology for searching out an extra long live center? I'm looking for an MT2 live center that's not short and stubby. I need one that has a narrow housing, extends to at least 2 to 3 inches and .500 in diameter? I've searched terms like, extra long live center. Narrow live center, extended length live center...all to no avail. Any suggestions? I'm considering getting one of those Amazon versions and machining an extension to see if that works. Thanks much.

CNC center or interchangeable tip center is the terms.

Thanks very much. That's the one I keep bumping into while doing my searching. I think that's what I'll end up getting and then figure out a way to extend it myself.

Typically called CNC, but also extended nose or point. There are various configurations and a wide price range.
The Skoda live centers are quite compact, work well, and are typically mid-priced. This one is not technically a CNC, but the body center is fairly small. Shar's have an extended point CNC type live center worth considering. Be careful that some live centers have a fairly big body which can interfere with the tool post.

Keep in mind that quality matters here. To keep a long tip running concentrically with small diameter bearings under load requires higher quality components than when using larger bearings. The small size comes with a trade off. You have both radial and axial load here. Dave

Back