Little Machine Shop 6750 (Sieg SX3.5) Large Benchtop Mill - any thoughts?

What are your thoughts on the LMS 6750 after a year?

I have been very happy with the machine. I am not a machinist by any stretch of the imagination. I have never run a bigger machine. All my experience has been with smaller machines. That being said, I am very happy with the LMS 6750. It has enough power for what I do (mostly aluminum). Plenty of travel in all axis and 3" of quill travel. I added the LMS power feed to the X Axis which was a great investment.

If there are any issues, it is with my abilities - not the machine. It has done everything I have asked of it.

The DRO tablet provided with the machine is quite cheesy but it is easily replaced with a decent tablet. I mounted a new holder on the side of the column which moved the tablet to a more useable position. I also upgraded to the latest version of Touch DRO.

The power head lift is a real arm saver. The electrically interlocked spindle lock sure makes tool changes easy and shuts off the machine (not the DRO) until you return the lock to run position. Push the green on button and you are back in business. I have forgotten to put the lock back to run many times. It is nice to have the extra safety of the electrical disconnect.

Other then the tablet issue, I have not had to do anything to it except use it. I am very happy with my decision to buy the LMS 6750.

Just to point out to anyone considering the DRO as a selling point, it seems that the tablet based DRO LMS sells is, if not in legal terms, for practical purposes, an unlicensed knock off of the genuine TouchDRO.

LMS offer such good value and helpful support in other areas (even to someone like me on the other side of the pond) that I'll buy kit from them but if I want a tablet-based DRO, I'll buy the genuine product from the guy who put all the work in.

(@ycroosh - this is the second, or maybe third time I've mentioned the LMS DRO in relation to TouchDRO, if you want me to have a nice cup of STFU, then let me know, I don't want to cause you any hassles or come across as a creepy fanboi guy who hasn't even yet got the product he's so zealous in defending!:grin:)

Just to point out to anyone considering the DRO as a selling point, it seems that the tablet based DRO LMS sells is, if not in legal terms, for practical purposes, an unlicensed knock off of the genuine TouchDRO.

LMS offer such good value and helpful support in other areas (even to someone like me on the other side of the pond) that I'll buy kit from them but if I want a tablet-based DRO, I'll buy the genuine product from the guy who put all the work in.

(@ycroosh - this is the second, or maybe third time I've mentioned the LMS DRO in relation to TouchDRO, if you want me to have a nice cup of STFU, then let me know, I don't want to cause you any hassles or come across as a creepy fanboi guy who hasn't even yet got the product he's so zealous in defending!:grin:)
add me to the list of people who are leery of doing business with LMS over the decision to knock off the TouchDRO product.
and will keep commenting about it unless ycroosh objects.

Thank you for the quick helpful replies everyone. I am comparing the non-DRO PM728VT ($3700) with the LMS 6500 ($2800) and not seeing large differences in the specifications (aside from the +3" spindle to table height and +27 pounds weight on the PM728VT) to explain why the PM728VT is $900 more. Good to know that bith mills seem to perform well and have good customer support.

Thank you for the quick helpful replies everyone. I am comparing the non-DRO PM728VT ($3700) with the LMS 6500 ($2800) and not seeing large differences in the specifications (aside from the +3" spindle to table height and +27 pounds weight on the PM728VT) to explain why the PM728VT is $900 more. Good to know that bith mills seem to perform well and have good customer support.

Made in Taiwan vs China tends to add 25-50% to the price and likely accounts for most of the price difference here. Taiwan vs China made is largely intangible, better finish, better quality of materials etc, something you may notice in person, but it is not going to show up in the specs.

Buying from a reputable vendor like Grizzly, PM or LMS reduces some of the advantage of Taiwan vs China vs buying from a random distributor since they have better quality control and hopefully catch any major flaws before they head out the door.

Made in Taiwan vs China tends to add 25-50% to the price and likely accounts for most of the price difference here. Taiwan vs China made is largely intangible, better finish, better quality of materials etc, something you may notice in person, but it is not going to show up in the specs.
go hang out in the PM forum and ask about PM equipment, I do not own one but I fully believe that their quality and customer service is well above the norm. I tend to buy based on specs and deal with quality issues on my own, if that is your outlook then great but a $900 delta for the same specs to buy the PM equipment over LMS would have me getting the PM. Now when the delta is 2X or more i have a hard time deciding.

IMO LMS is on par or less than Grizzly quality.

LMS is a step up from ebay but not in the same class as PM

Very good point about the PM being from Taiwan. That seems to be worth the additional $900 from all I have read. Thanks again for your helpful responses!

add me to the list of people who are leery of doing business with LMS over the decision to knock off the TouchDRO product.
and will keep commenting about it unless ycroosh objects.
Well, I'll still buy stuff that I can get from LMS that isn't available in the UK and they have been helpful to me when I've contacted them. Their customer service covers a fair few sins.

That said, I definitely could understand people who chose not to buy for that reason, though. ;)

go hang out in the PM forum and ask about PM equipment, I do not own one but I fully believe that their quality and customer service is well above the norm. I tend to buy based on specs and deal with quality issues on my own, if that is your outlook then great but a $900 delta for the same specs to buy the PM equipment over LMS would have me getting the PM. Now when the delta is 2X or more i have a hard time deciding.

IMO LMS is on par or less than Grizzly quality.

LMS is a step up from ebay but not in the same class as PM

I don't have machines from any of these vendors but I have stuff bought from all three. My comment is based on customer support, not the machines. PM, LMS and Grizzly all have solid and responsive customer support, unlike some others or random Ebay sellers.

LMS has two levels of machinery. They have their lower end $1000-ish machines (7x16" lathe, smaller mills) which are better than many of similar size class, but still have some of the same issues. Then they have a few higher end machines like the mill being discussed here and their 8.5x20 lathe.
If you look at that lathe it has more features than most 8" to 10" import lathes and actually compares quite closely to the PMs 1022 other than its capacity. It is a very niche machine since you can get the larger 1022 for just a few hundred dollars more, but for somebody looking for the quality of the 1022, in a smaller footprint they have an option. Unfortunately PM does not offer anything in the very small lathe or mill arena.

Back