Little lathe project - TIG cooler fitting

Ngray

Active User
Registered
So since my last post, a HF mini mill showed up and a Miller Syncrowave 250. No biggie. (!!!!):whistle:

Anyway, I decided to do my own TIG cooler for it, the first step of which is reducing the LH 5/8 18 TPI straight (not pipe) thread down to a 3/8 hose. Now, I can buy these on fleabay, or through welding shops, and realistically, before I tig up my tank, I will. I just needed something for the week. So I made this:

photo.JPG

Now, I realize it looks like snot, and that's fine. I didn't do finish passes on anything except the threads. But for my first try at LH threads (yes, they're backwards), and threading in general (no I've never done them before) I'm pretty pleased.

Also, if you ever posted anything useful on threading on a lathe, pop yourself a beer and pat yourself on the back. I probably read your post :)

I'll post more pictures of the cooler once it doesn't look so terrible. Right now it's a pump, a torch, and a bucket. I'm just letting it recirculate until I get every leak out. Getting the ACTUAL cooler will happen when I make a stand for the 250. I really really want the cooler UNDER the welder. No reason why. :whiteflag:

photo.JPG

You'll like the cooler torch if you do much welding. My favorite welder uses just tap water and let's it drain into the city sewer. And he TIG's A LOT. It doesn't seem like more than a trickle. His setup sort of exposes the flow for observation purposes near the welder . The flow piping is attached to the wall beside it.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I have no water in my garage, would have to chase a hose through the house! Anyway, the cooler makes for a good project. I'm currently drawing it up to sit under the welder, as I don't have the stones to design a water cooler over top of my welder :)

It should come out nice, but I need to decide steel or aluminum. Alum would look nice, but black-painted steel would be just fine too. I want it to have a spot for the 125 tank, a couple reels, and some small storage. Still thinking it through :)

Go to your local auto scrap yard and grab a heater core from a small car. That way you have a radiator and fan in one unit.
Once you get the system running add some anti-freeze to keep the mineral deposits down and lube the pump impeller. Stright H2O will eat up the system from all the heat and cool cycles.
********Just Saying************Gator********************

Gator, I may end up using active cooling, but I'm curious how well I can do with my current strategy of using a 4x4 alum extrusion mounted vertically behind the welder, beside the tank. It's 60" tall, holding about 4 gallons of coolant. I'm thinking that the welder cooling fan, along with the tremendous convection up the walls of the aluminum extrusion will do well enough for my needs.

It all depends on how long and hot {Amperage} you weld.
What size torch ? What size Tungsten ?
Small jobs and short welding time you should be OK.
Big jobs and lots of hood time could be a different story.
Don't forget that summer is comeing for us in Florida and when it gets close to 100° it will slow down your convection cooling tower.
Stick a thermoeter in your cooling tank and monitor your temps.
You can always add finns and a fan to your tank.
***************G*******************

It all depends on how long and hot {Amperage} you weld.
What size torch ? What size Tungsten ?
Small jobs and short welding time you should be OK.
Big jobs and lots of hood time could be a different story.
Don't forget that summer is comeing for us in Florida and when it gets close to 100° it will slow down your convection cooling tower.
Stick a thermoeter in your cooling tank and monitor your temps.
You can always add finns and a fan to your tank.
***************G*******************

I completely agree, that's all good advice. I can always circle back and actively cool.

Back