Lining up a Slitting saw for a "precision" cut..?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I making a 7/8" thk. finger plate from O1 tool steel and I need to make a fairly precise cut across the plate
at 3/8" in from one side of the plate. How do I line up a .046" thick x 3" saw blade to hit the mark?

It will be cut on a BP mill horizontally. Do I touch the blade to the top then dial in .3750" on the dial?

Do you want the kerf to be centred on the .375 line or to one side?

David

I need to cut a straight line right at .375" in from one end. .046" wide, .500" deep.
Right on the line., centered.
I spoke with a tech at Martindale Electric and they suggested a certain saw for the O1 tool steel.
Now I have to learn how to line up the saws teeth to cut right on the line that I have layed out.
If I can use a DRO, it will be cake.

Thanks Bill, Right. forgot about calculating the saw width.
I just changed the width of the slot to .075", but the idea is the same. Add half the saw blades width.
So now it is .4125" after touching off. A DRO will make this so much better.
Martindale Electric, the makers of excellent USA saws, will custom grind an order for only $10 for all of the saws!
They also have a coating service, TIN, TiCN,... I'll probably order the blades in that width. About $100 for 8 , 3" saw blades., shipped.

If possible, set up a sacrificial piece alongside and touching your work, make a cut into it to determine position, depth, width, and confirm you are getting a good cut, and then measure the cut location from the edge, and step it over by the required distance.

You beat me to it Bob.
Yeah do like Bob said and I would have said if I beat him to the punch.
Better to cut a sacrificial piece wrong than the real thing

If possible, set up a sacrificial piece alongside and touching your work, make a cut into it to determine position, depth, width, and confirm you are getting a good cut, and then measure the cut location from the edge, and step it over by the required distance.

Awesome. Thanks Bill. That is great advice. I'll have to find a piece of steel at least the same size or larger. O1 flat stock is expensive, so I'll use 1018.

Back