Lifting turret of BP

Got her done lifting the turret and head up with the table. I had considered doing this but only had the confidence to do so after seeing Buffalo20s post with the turret cribbed and strapped down to the table.
IMG_1171.JPG IMG_1172.JPG IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1192.JPG
The cribbing was under the ram and another cradle under the head.
I marked the location of the bolts with a sharpie, loosened the bolts gently as to set the spider down on the ears.
IMG_1195.JPG
After making sure all was secure I slowly manually raised the assembly with the table. As you can see
my BP doesn't have the typical table. Its quite stout and raising it didn't feel much different than normal.
I raised it 8" for the installation of the 6" riser. All surfaces that would come into play on both the mill and the riser
were cleaned up with emery cloth, cleaned and oiled. I measured to make sure they would mate correctly prior to assembly as I didn't want to risk a jammed mis fit. I slipped the riser in, lowered the assembly down, snugged the bolts
down a little more, tightened it up, and was done! I was pleasantly thrilled that all the components fit without fiddling
and nothing unruly happened. Thanks to everyone who gave me advise as even if I didn't take it, it contributed to my
process. Hopefully this can help someone who is adding a riser to their mill in the future.
IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

Very well done! Glad you didn't have to move it or rent equipment to get it done.

Thanks for sharing here to benefit others.

EDIT: do you have a photo or two of the details/cross section of the riser itself?

Last edited by a moderator:
glad it worked out for you, it was flawless for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a stock photo of the riser I used.
IMG_0136.JPG
Very well done! Glad you didn't have to move it or rent equipment to get it done.

Thanks for sharing here to benefit others.

EDIT: do you have a photo or two of the details/cross section of the riser itself?

Looks like a great method. I need to replace my spider; it has a stripped bolt. Feels like that ear of the spider is cracked through the threads. Talk about being creeped out; I didn't realize this until I got it home and off the trailer. The guy I bought it from lifted the machine by the eyebolt on the ram and I lifted it off the trailer at home with a sling under the ram!

I'll definitely be doing mine sooner than later now!

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, did you buy it via ebay from Eisen Machinery?
I picked it up from Eisen, but through their web site. The automatic shipping calculator worked out to my benefit that way. I was pleased with the quality and the fact that all the hardware worked.

Looks like a great method. I need to replace my spider; it has a stripped bolt. Feels like that ear of the spider is cracked through the threads. Talk about being creeped out; I didn't realize this until I got it home and off the trailer. The guy I bought it from lifted the machine by the eyebolt on the ram and I lifted it off the trailer at home with a sling under the ram!

I'll definitely be doing mine sooner than later now!

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan,
I have an extra spider. Send me your address.
Jonathan

Back