Lifting Rotary Table By 3 Jaw Chuck?

Bluedog

Registered
Registered
Will it damage a rotary table to lift it by a 3 jaw Chuck bolted to it? My idea is to use a long eye bolt with a nut on it and let the bolt extend through the chuck jaws with the nut behind the jaws and the tighten the chuck on the bolt. Could this damage the rotary table or chuck? It is a 12" table with a 8" chuck.

Sounds OK to me, but double nut it and use a stout enough bolt for the table and chuck weight. I would worry more about damaging the chuck jaws and slots than the rotary table. That is not the normal direction for forces to act on the jaws.

8" chucks are fairly heavy duty. Double nutting on the thread will make it safer. Are their any eye bolt holes on the chuck or rotary table ?

I often put some round stock in my 3 jaw on the lathe to help hold it when I'm removing it.

If you had the rotary table on an angle plate it would have the chuck hanging off it.

How big are the Tee slots on the rotary, I guess their strength would be the limiting factor?

Stuart

My 10" Imperial German built compound tilt rotary table is so stout a Mack truck won't hurt it! It weighs 215 lbs!
I take my longest stud, run it thru the bore install a nut and on top put a coupling nut then a eye bolt. Worked every time for me for over 40 years.
Most rotary tables are built with a good stout back up nut on the bottom side to keep the table top in alignment and for lifting. If the adjustment has not been messed with, it should be fine to pick up by this method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the RT has an eye bolt on the side but when I lift it by that oil leaks out. No big deal there but I think it will be easier to accidentally let the hand wheel hit the table causing damage than it would to be able to lift it with the RT horizontal. Right now I'm sliding the RT off of a rolling cart onto the mill table but I just thought of the bolt in the chuck idea but didn't want to rip the top off my RT or damage the Chuck since I know that is not a normal direction for the forces. The tnuts have a base of 22mm and the slot is 14mm with m12 thread. The Chuck backing plate is held to the RT with 3 bolts. The whole assembly weighs at least 200# so Hans and Frans would be a big help.
Thanks guys!

I would think it wouldn't hurt anything as long as you tighten it with the nut behind the jaws. Picking it up like that is more likely to prevent damage then cause any, besides if just moving it around that way causes damage the table and chuck aren't worth scrap metal.

I never bother with a backup nut, and never have. I have some forged eyebolts and just chuck them and toss a hook from a chain fall, or hoist, or whatever. Seen it done for all my career, never saw anyone drop one. Thinking about the cutting forces they can take. A few hundred pounds of dead lift is nothing.

I have at times, just tossed a 2" sling in the chuck and got a bite on it. Never liked doing that to a good sling, but I have some beaters for stuff like that.

Back