Leveling and aligning a new 1440 - New guy dumb questions.

Probably just luck of the draw but I ordered both a PM-935ts and a PM-1236T in November and they are both currently enroute form Pennsylvania to Washinton as we speak. Fingers crossed they should be here next week.

Probably just luck of the draw but I ordered both a PM-935ts and a PM-1236T in November and they are both currently enroute form Pennsylvania to Washinton as we speak. Fingers crossed they should be here next week.
That is awesome! I am very happy for you.

What you are telling us here is that your headstock is skewed by 0.0008" over 10". Accordingly, any leveling adjustments or tailstock alignment maneuvers will also be off.

Since the small end is at the chuck, the headstock needs to be tweaked in a CCW direction.

Is it necessary? Up to you but if you're going to be working with precision assemblies then it might be worth it.
Tool pressure could be pushing the stock away instead of cutting, that's a lot of stick out. How sharp was the tool? I'd try a sharp tool on a larger diameter before I moved the headstock.

Tool pressure could be pushing the stock away instead of cutting, that's a lot of stick out. How sharp was the tool? I'd try a sharp tool on a larger diameter before I moved the headstock.
Good point. Not sure what kind of tool was used. The OP never responded.

I was wanting to put some taller feet under my lathe and decided to check for taper before I messed with it as I have some upcoming jobs....
ZERO tenths over a 10x2" bar. I had to have someone else take the measurements a second time :cool:

Mikey, first off, wanted to thank you for all your helpful posts here. I have learned a lot from your posts.

That being said, I am confused by something in this post, if the small measurement was at the Chuck side wouldn’t the head be adjusted CW to move the material further into the path of the cutter? Was this an error, or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks!

What you are telling us here is that your headstock is skewed by 0.0008" over 10". Accordingly, any leveling adjustments or tailstock alignment maneuvers will also be off.

Since the small end is at the chuck, the headstock needs to be tweaked in a CCW direction.

Is it necessary? Up to you but if you're going to be working with precision assemblies then it might be worth it.

@LVLAaron Try taking a spring pass and recheck. Once you get to the HS turn off the lathe, retract the tool not touching the cross slide and take another cut.

Mikey, first off, wanted to thank you for all your helpful posts here. I have learned a lot from your posts.

That being said, I am confused by something in this post, if the small measurement was at the Chuck side wouldn’t the head be adjusted CW to move the material further into the path of the cutter? Was this an error, or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks!
No, you are correct, Christian. My error.

Back