leveling adjusters for wells index mill

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I wanted to make some leveling plates for my wells index mill. I have some .750"x 3" plate that i was going to cut 24" long to bolt under the mill. On each end of the plate I was going to install leveling screws. Does anyone know if .750" is thick enough to support my mill? Owners manual states that my 645 weighs 2800 lbs.

Don't bother with leveling unless you plan on using a level for setups or often use flood coolant, if the later give it a bias towards the back so that the coolant easily runs back into the sump.

Otherwise place stock in machine and mill away, that simple. It is a stand alone machine that is not 100" long and subject to twist such as a very long lathe/mill made in more then one piece.

A Index 645 mill doesn't weigh 2800 lbs. More like 2200 lbs. As least thats about what mine weighs.

I have mine sitting on four pieces of 1 x 6 x 6 pine square blocks and I believe a couple of door shims crammed under one corner to keep it from rocking. Been like that for the last 12 years.

you are right about the weight. I went back and looked in the manual and shipping weight is 2100 with standard table. I guess that mine is a few pounds more since I have the 9x46 table. I think I will do as you have and just shim it where needed.

You have not mentioned the floor that it sits on, I would guess concrete. If a joisted wood floor, you may want to spread the weight around. My mill/drill - stand/cabinet is on 4 inverted carriage bolts in 4" x 4" plates that have a 1/2" hole in them. Not the best on a wood floor but it hasn't fallen through yet. It does have some harmonic movement with noticeably out of balance projects.
Have a good day
Ray

Back