Level The Table?

Looks like a piece of channel used for parallels, if so, is it flat and true?

A slot cutter does not cut very well/at all on its end/sides. For this reason, the cutter can ramp up as it travels the cut (if I understand your set-up). I would use a regular end mill. And I would strap that brake pad down onto the table and not use the vise.

Just thinking out loud here, but the brake pads have bolt holes in them. Why not just bolt them right to a fixture plate and be done with it? Skim the fixture plate first and then everything after that should follow parallel, wouldn't it?

-frank

Before you cut again, (after you've determined that the head is square with the table) (the vise was removed for this operation wasn't it?) remove the lower portion of the vise, (the part that is now attached to the table) from the vice and store it in a secure place. It's for rotating the table to a specific angle and you are not doing that in this operation. Before you put the vice back on the table gently run a whetstone over the bottom of the vice to determine that there are not high spots on the bottom surface. Do the same with the table. You don't want to remove any but high spots, so don't be aggressive, just wipe it gently. Wipe both table and vice bottom with a paper towel, put the vise down and slide it around to verify there are no chunks of anything under it. Secure it to the table. NOW with an indicator in the quill, run the vice back and forth to verify that the bottom of the opening of the vise is parallel with the movement of the table. Now try another cut. Yes, use a fly cutter or a face mill.

Check out this youtube video on tramming a milling machine.

You can find many videos on-line to help you out. The one I've attached is by a gentleman named Tubalcain. He has over a hundred videos that are quite useful for amateur machinists.

Ted

I would use a regular end mill. And I would strap that brake pad down onto the table and not use the vise.
I'd use a flycutter as well as clamping directly to the table. IMHO it's best to avoid vises when possible. Everything you put between the work and the table adds error. Looks like that part could be held by a couple of toe clamps.

:+1: What John said! Clamp that pad directly to the table. In fact you have some nice mounting holes there, I would screw the pad down to a tapped aluminum plate that is bolted to the T-nuts with flat head screws. Align the hold down screws with the T-slots. I also would use a cutter that was wider than the pad, like a fly cutter.

I ordered a fly cutter. What rpm should I turn? What is a toe clamp?

Since I use the same pad all the time a custom mount may be a good idea.

I have a friend with a dial indicator that I can borrow to test the table.

Does this forum have a for sale section when I can buy second hand from members? I looked, but didn't see anything. Maybe because I don't have enough posts yet or maybe nobody is selling, lol.

Back